Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

cb vs amatuer radio?

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by dubl_t, Jan 5, 2003.

1. dubl_t

dubl_t 1/2 ton status

I'm pretty new to this, and I'm not talking about one vs the other, but can one radio do both? Or does a guy need 2 radios? I don't have anything yet, but planon taking my test soon. So any suggestions on equipment would be appreciated.

2. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

Simple answer you need 2 radios. Although if you get a General or higher license then you can operate on HF frequencies then you can get a radio that will also cover the cb band but it is technically illegal to transmit on the cb band with anything than an actual CB.

But to give you a hint, all of those "Export" cb's are actually 10meter amatuer radios that can or have been converted to operate on the cb band. Radio brands such as Connex, SuperStar, Most of the Galaxy and Ranger radios are all 10meter ham radios designed for the illegal cb market.

If you are going for your first test then you are most likely going for Technician which gives you access to all the bands from 50mhz and up. CB is in the 27mhz region.

There is pretty new "cb" band called MURS that is much like the FRS radios that uses freqs near the 2meter band that uses a few old business band frequencies that many 2 meter radios can be modified to work on. Also many of the 73cm ham radios can be modified to work on the FRS band.

(disclaimer: using a ham radio on any band other that what you're licensed for is illegal.) /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

3. dubl_t

dubl_t 1/2 ton status

Thanks Rebel. Now, whats the benefit to getting an "export" radio and modifying it to work as a cb? And where can a guy get such radio?

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

In the CB world you here people talking about extra channels. You can modifie a CB for more channnels, or get a export radio. The export radios have all the channels and more power. Technically it's illeagle to use them, but people have been talking above 40 and below 1 for a long time. I like 27.5050 and 27.7050 when the skip is really good. You can get the export radios from places like Copper electronics.

5. rebelk5frk

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

This look intresting: [​IMG] Wonder how hard it'll be to convert to 11 meter.

7. dubl_t

dubl_t 1/2 ton status

so export radios are 10meter? How much and how complicated is it to convert them?

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Some are very simple to convert. My base [​IMG] was only moving one wire from a pin to the one next to it. Others are more involved. Some places like Copper or H&Y Electronnic's will charge $20.00 to $50.00.

9. VA-NC-SC

VA-NC-SC Registered Member

if I'm not mistaken, most ham radios can operate on the cb frequencies as well as normal ham frequencies out-of-box. I am not a HAM operator, this is just from what I have heard. Tell me if I'm wrong.

10. rebelk5frk

None of the true ham radios will work on CB freq's out of the box. Most of the export radios are converted when you buy them or there is an option for it when you buy them.

Normal ham radios have to be converted also to work on frequencies other than the ham bands. Most HF radios only require a couple of parts to be removed etc to open up continuous tx and rx and is intended for ham operators with MARS/CAP permits.

11. dubl_t

dubl_t 1/2 ton status

Besides added channels, is there a benefit to using a converted export radio versus an el cheapo with an amp?

12. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

In my opinion the export radios have better "ears" (Recieve greater distance). As well as AM and both upper and lower sideband, alot of export radios have FM and comman wave. I've never used the comman wave (Don't have a keyer or no morse code). And there is always the kewl factor of the export radios over the elcheapo regular CB. You can always throw a linar inline behind a export radio also.

13. Judd

Judd 1/2 ton status

It's not a matter of which is better, they both are "good" at specific things. A CB is a better trail communication tool than the "Ham". It's better because the range is limited, this means you can talk pretty much with your buddies without bothering other folks. More people have{or can easily get} a CB. The investment is alot less with CBs, most folks don't want to spend 200 odd dollars on a low end 2 meter setup. The last "plus" of a CB is that you can have more "fun" with a CB. If you let loose a few choice words while wheeling with your buddies it won't be noticed on the CB.
    The good points on Ham is that there is more range, especially if running 2 meter or 440. With a 25-50 watt radio, you can generally hit at least 2 or 3 {most times alot more than that} repeaters. If you are a member of a repeater club that has auto-patch, you will have unlimited range if you can hit the repeater. Auto-patch is a way of talking though your radio while on the telephone. Ham has alot of people who take there hobby very seriously, sometimes they get a little offended with a few people "yappin" while wheeling. They get real offended if you let some colorfull words slip. Both are good to have. The CB for regular trail chat and the Ham for if something bad happens.
    If you have a General Class or higher all is good if you don't mind spending a bit of money. There are several "Ham" radios that will do it all. Yaesu has at least two-FT100 and the FT-897. Both of these radios will go from 160 meters to 440, they will also do 11 meters{CB} after modding. Yaesu also has just released a new radio{FT-890R}, this radio has four bands-10 meter, 6 meter, 2 meter and 440. If this radio can be modded to transmit on 11 meters, it would be a great thing. Should be alot cheaper than the FT100 which retails for around 900 dollars. Icom also has the IC-706 which is the same as the FT-100, BOUT THE SAME PRICE TOO! I really think you would be better off with two radios. If one breaks, you still have the other one. It's cheaper too. A export radio can generally be bought for around 200 bucks, a 2 meter/ 440 can be had for anywhere from 200 bucks to around 400 bucks. In a mobile application, only 10, 11, 6, 2 meter and 440mhz would be practical{unless you want to either spend a bunch on a automatic antenna matcher or have a high dollar antenna
    such as a Outbacker}. JMO, KG4DBX /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif