Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

CB vs FRS

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by shaggyk5, Apr 30, 2002.

1. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

title says it all. What do you like, if you have used both? i have FRS radios, and like them, and i have enough for most of my wheeling friends. I like these cause i can get out of the truck with them. Some of my buddies are setup for CBs. ill probably toss one in for the best of both worlds, but I just figured i'd see what you guys like.

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I'm not familure with FRS. What is it ??? what's it's range ??? ...ect.

3. Burbinator

Burbinator 1/2 ton status

FRS has an extremely limited range (< 2 miles) due to power output limitations by the FCC (500 mW).

4. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

Yeah and cb is required to be a max of four watts. My Uniden was at 12 when I bought it. Now keys at 1 and swings to 25! If you are looking for range go with the cb, if you want portability go with the FRS, Cobra makes a couple of real good ones.

5. TwoCrowsDesign

TwoCrowsDesign 1/2 ton status

Family Radio Service, a segment of the citizen's band, but with a very low transmit (1/2 watt).

I have a couple of Motorolas and have found them to be very servicable. I've used them on the highway and trail. As mentioned they have a limited range (less than 2 miles) due to the limited transmit wattage. I'm bringing them camping next week and will give one to my kids so they can run around the camp ground, but still be "on a leash" so to speak.

The price has really gotten down too. The ones I paid 120/pair are now around $50/pair with a rebate.

6. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I like the FRS simply b/c there's no wires to run, no antenna to mount, and there easier to operate than a CB. but I like the CB better on the road b/c you can talk to the truckers and you can reach a helluva lot farther with it too.

7. The_Sandman_454

The_Sandman_454 1/2 ton status

FRS is considered citizens band but is actually in either the 150 or 430mhz range rather than the 26.xxx to 27.xxx mhz range...

Power is different with those frequencies. There's no skip on the higher frequencies, therefore you don't have to worry about that. FRS is FM transmission type. The only real way to get any halfway decent range out of it is to go with a much better antenna. A beam or discone perhaps... Boosting power on that freq gains you less than boosting power on a CB radio.

I like CB (well the whole 11m band actually) better than FRS. If I wanted serious local communications I'd have myself and friends get a technician no code class amateur license, use 2m and the repeaters that might be around... Can go 60+ miles if the repeaters are positioned properly and you're setup to use them (and of course if they're not open you need the access code to use them)... /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif Much nicer...

8. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Most the repeaters are open you just have to find what tone code they use. Most newwer 2m rigs will do that automaticly. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

9. ratpack7

ratpack7 Guest

For off road I would go with the CB. I use a FRS every day but when you get down to basics the CB is better for off road conditions FRS/FM is line of site transmission CB/AM is not it has a longer wave that will go over the moutain back to base camp. You also can pick up handheld CB's for cheaper the an FRS and use that for spotting on the trail. Thats whats going in to me truck A mounted Cobra and the a handheld I'll still have the FRS because its smaller I'll just use it for paint ball.

10. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

Yeah a team that has the FRS against a team that does not will win every time. It was three of us against 7 of them and we smoked them /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

11. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

My sister baught the FRS from motorola Befor they sold her divition, and they work fine I have a set of commercial radio's (10 chanels w/ ABC switch) like the Police use and like them when I'm working away from someone else and need to keep in touch. The CB is mounted in the K-5 and Have a hand held CB that I use when someone is out side the truck and I'm inside. What are you looking at using it for?