Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

CB.. Where to run antenna wire ?

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by njonl, Apr 6, 2004.

1. njonl

njonl 1/2 ton status

I drive an '89 K5 and a buddy gave me a wilson 1000 whip antenna. I want to run the wire somehow so that it isn't so noticeable. My CB is mounted on the ceiling right above the rear view mirror. I put the antenna towards the front of my blazer and I need help running the antenna wire. Anybody have any idea's or suggestions ? Pics would help too if possible. Thanks A lot.

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

did you go thru the roof with the wire or are you going to go thru the door jamb?

3. njonl

njonl 1/2 ton status

I want to go anywhere that will look clean. Any suggestions ?

4. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Well if you have it mounted to the roof, you only have 2 choices.

A)route it along the roof to an opening like a door, between topper and cab (which in my opinion will both cause leaks)

B)drill a hole in the roof and run the line hidden by the headliner then down the A-pillar to your CB.

5. trailblazer86

trailblazer86 1/2 ton status

If you drill the hole in the roof, you could fish the coax down the inside of the A pillar. It will come out just above the vent on the kick panel. The passenger side is the easiest.

6. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

My truck came with a NMO mount already installed bu p/o. It has wire fished through the inner panels and comes out near the floor behind drivers seat. On tht NMO mount I have a NMO to 3/8 adapter and a cheap short whip with bottom spring coil. I have whacked this on darn near every tree in AZ and have yet to hurt my body or the antenna. I even have a good match on it . When I want to go in my garage I just unscrew the antenna/adapter and all that you see on top is some threads about 1/8 high and about 1 1/2 " around. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

7. justwhatido

justwhatido 1/2 ton status

Well, back in the 70's we installed CBs in everything with wheels and ran antenna wires to the back bumper and installed steel whip antennas or 5/8 wave top load fiberglass. But I haven't looked at anything more elaborate than welding to a vice grip to affix to the mirror mount on 18 wheelers

/forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

I'll bet it still works

Fred

8. bigcat44

bigcat44 Registered Member

Just got my set-up yesterday and I am running it further back. It's mounted on the roof above the dome light, then along the plastic, down the A-pillar and to the CB. I'll get some pics up this weekend. I am running the same antenna as you on my 89K5.