Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

CB whip for AM/FM???

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by Crunk_K5_1984, Apr 4, 2003.

1. Crunk_K5_1984

Crunk_K5_1984 Registered Member

I've heard about doing it before, but I don't know if it'll be totally screwed or if it'll be like cockwork. I want to run 2 120" CB whips on the rear corners, one for my radio and one for my CB. Let me know what you guys think. Cheers!

2. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

The biggest thing you'd have trouble with is having too big whips swingin' all over the place

It'll work ok. A lot of folks have trouble with a high SWR when a whip is mounted real low like on a bumper... some do some don't. The AM/FM antenna will react a little with the CB antenna but not enough to notice... It might make it bleed over to your stereo a little more than usual when transmitting.

If you mount your antenna on the far corner of your vehicle you will have a somewhat directional antenna... Your reception will be stronger to the front than it will to the rear.

102" is a bit overkill for the AM/FM antenna but if you want the look then go for it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

Hook em up and give it a try /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I've seen a pair of 102's mounted off the mirrors befor. The guy used one for the CB, and the other for the stereo.

5. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

thats what im ganna do..just not with 102's..my dads got one and its a little big for me!

6. Crunk_K5_1984

What about those white fiberglass antennas? I thinks they're 4' I'm not sure...... I might try those b/c there's a lot of low-lying power lines around /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif I wouldn't want to risk electrocution (not likely, I know but "Hey, It could happen!")Cheers!

7. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

yea or there are shorter stainless whips to. if you do it...let me know how it goes. and by the way..on a side note..how does your blazer run with 3.08's and 33's? i have 3.08's and id like to go to 33's but i think it might be cutting it..speacially with a 700r4!

8. Crunk_K5_1984

Sluggish going up hills but that's the diesel more than the gearing. You've got a 350 so you wouldn't have that problem /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif Steering took some getting used to after I upgraded from 31"x10.50" to this but all in all It rides and performs much better on and off road. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. prerunner1982

prerunner1982 1/2 ton status

there wouldnt happen to be a connection converter to connect a cb coax cable to a radio would there? or do i have to strip the coax and add the right connection?

on that side note. i run 3.07s and 31s and its a bit sluggish intown, takes a bit to get it going. and sucks gas. once i am going on the highway i can cruise like its nothing. of course i only have a 350/th350, i am thinking 3.23s.

10. prerunner1982

prerunner1982 1/2 ton status