Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

CB ?

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by Skigirl, Jun 1, 2001.

1. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Hi guys. I've read all the posts and only understand a few of them :-\, so please bear with me if I ask redundant and silly questions. I'm considering a CB (or Ham or GMRS) for my rig, but not solely for trail use. I follow the snow storms to ski so am generally driving in storms/blizzards (sometimes by myself) on desolate highways and in the mountains, often at night. I want to have something useful if my rig breaks down in a mountainous area or in the middle of nowhere. Is there something that would work in areas where my tri-mode cellular phone wouldn't? Should I go CB, ham or handheld 5 mile gmrs (which I already have)? And what brand of whatever it is should I get? I don't need to go cheap, I need it to be effective. I don't want to run an illegal amp. Thanks in advance!

2. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

I'd go with a CB, just for the sheer number of them out there, and most law enforcement agencies still monitor emergency channel 9. Cobra makes a really nice unit that also recieves the NOAA weather channels. I've seen brand new ones on EBay for little of nothing (10-30 bucks). Uniden and Realistic(Radio Shack) are also good. My advice would be go to WalMart or Radio Shack and look at the various options and decide which would best suit you.

I'm not creative enough to comeup with a new signature [​IMG]

3. James90

James90 1/2 ton status

I thank would be a CB with an amp for extra power and a HAM raido cbs are good and there are a lot of people listening but the ham will go farther and you can make a phone call with it I dont know to much about them but if you want long distents for emergenys I thank a ham would be best

F_ck the whales Save CK5!!!!!!!!!!

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.trailblazer90.coloradok5.com>http://www.trailblazer90.coloradok5.com</A>

4. taterblazer

taterblazer 1/2 ton status

Don't count on having communications. Know how to take care your self no matter what. CB's are sketchy at best. Don't know about Ham. My Midland CB is ok but I think I would try a Uniden next time. I would check out Tom Browns Guide to Wilderness Survival or one of his other texts. He is a master of taking care himself. Kinda environmentalist but knows his stuff.

5. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

taterblazer, I go everywhere fully prepared to survive almost any condition, travelling with lots of survival gear, food, etc. (and manuals to cover any info I might have forgotten). I've been stranded before in blizzards. I agree wholeheartedly that being prepared is the best thing I could do. Putting in a communication system that might be of help is just part of the precautions I want to take - kind of completes the survival arsenal. Thanks for the book recommendation. It's a good one :-)

6. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Oh good....I am not the only pack rat....I had so much stuff I was over my GVWR.

SK-15
    J**P...it's whats for dinner!
    Roads? Where we're going, we don't need any roads!
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://SK-15.coloradok5.com>http://SK-15.coloradok5.com</A>

7. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

LOL, SK-15, I know the feeling. I took everything out of the truck once... it was like watching 15 people get out of a VW. Then I thot I was overdoing it, and tried to cut back, and just couldn't. Frankly I have a similar setup in my house. I'm in L.A. so have to be prepared for earthquakes, riots, etc. I can get out of my house with full gear and food in 30 seconds if I need to. Don't anticipate that, but in L.A., ya never know. We ought to compare lists of stuff in the truck, see if we could possibly have missed anything!

8. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Oh I know I am missing stuff...I had three rubbermaid containers full in the back of my rig and hidden underneath bunch of stuff. I cleaned mine out at my parents house...hrm..I took up half or more of the garage...but you see its us when things go bad we are prepared.
    There are some lists on here of what people carry..I think one was "What should I take?"
    Laters

SK-15
    J**P...it's whats for dinner!
    Roads? Where we're going, we don't need any roads!
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://SK-15.coloradok5.com>http://SK-15.coloradok5.com</A>

9. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Yes. I saw the lists (one of the first things I found when I found the site). There was some stuff I didn't have - good ideas. Then of course they had listed all the truck parts I wouldn't know what to do with if I had 'em. :-) I understand the garage thing, mine has tons 'o stuff in it while I work on the interior.

10. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I find CB's are great if you are in a group and need vehicle to vehicle communication. However for any sort of distant communication they suck. On a recent trip to the Tillimook state forest ORV park we 'lost' one of our group less than a mile from us. He couldn't hear us and we couldn't hear him. I really can't see a CB helping much in a desolate mountainous place with bad weather, unless it was edible.[​IMG]

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

11. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

tRusty, LOL! Thanks for the info. Maybe they make one in chocolate... :-)

12. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

Sorry Rene, I have to argue with you. I had my CB set up and I could talk to someone 10 miles away loud and clear. No amp or anything....just set up perfect. I dunno if I could do that again [​IMG]. I'll try though! I still have the CB...it's a Cobra.[​IMG]

<font color=purple>Have you hugged your K5 today?</font color=purple>

13. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Hi Muddin, were you in mountains or on flat terrain?

14. muddin4fun

Are big sky scrapers mountains? LOL! I don't know how it would have done in the mountains, but in the city was good! [​IMG]

<font color=purple>Have you hugged your K5 today?</font color=purple>

15. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Hmmm... mountains and skyscrapers....mountains and skyscrapers... well, I think if I had to hike up a skyscraper, I'd consider it worse than a mountain. I dunno if the comparison works for CBs... :-). Wonder if I should get a ham radio. Do they even have 'em for trucks?

16. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I agree with Rene, CB's are only good for vehicle to vehicle comm. I would go with a ham radio. Yes they do make them for trucks and with the right setup you can talk a couple of states over [​IMG]. There is also a phone patch so you can make emergency phone calls to anywhere. Also amateur(ham) radio operators are very helpful, they are frequently the only commucation during disasters(hurricanes, floods etc) and they can usually patch you through to the authorities

Murphy's Laws on Life :
    "The longer you wait in line, the greater the liklihood that you are standing in the wrong line." [​IMG]

17. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info Blazerguy! Sounds like just what I need... now if I can keep my CRS under control long enough to pass the test :-)

18. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Check out this site for more info:
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.arrl.com>http://www.arrl.com</A>

Murphy's Laws on Life :
    "The longer you wait in line, the greater the liklihood that you are standing in the wrong line." [​IMG]

19. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

they have HAM radios that are mobile, but in order to use them, you have to get licensed. after that, you can use them withihn the limitations of your license, which generaly includes several bands, and being able to use the CEL relay Autopatch system ( make celphone calls for free from your radio... just have to limit them to under 2 minutes I think) I plan on getting a HAM license at some point, although I dunno when that'll be for sure....

-Rich

Visualize an atlantic 442 Steam engine running at full tilt here...

20. muddin4fun

actually, the best if you were stranded would be a cell phone. I think they have plans where you just pay for the minutes so you wouldn't have to pay a monthly fee every month.

<font color=blue>I've got a mind like a . . . a . . . what's that thing called?</font color=blue>