Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cbs more power??

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by bandit, May 20, 2001.

1. bandit

bandit 1/2 ton status

OK im building a new wheeling truck and im mounting a 102 right in teh center of the truck but how would i go about cranking my cb up ive herd few old guys around the truck stop talk about cranking there CBs up buti ouldnt get anything out of them i ahve prett new cobra with a SWR meter in it nad then older cobra thats jsut the normal old cb

Bandit aka AJ
    Ahh look at that cute little jeep i think my 3yr old niece has one like that KNOW MOVE IT OUT OF THE WAY!

2. keith

keith 1/2 ton status

Correctly set the SWR and then go get a linear.(amp) special type just for CB's. You do not need to do anything else to the radio if you get the linear. They have numerous web sights with them for sale.

79 Blazer 6"lift 38 SX's locked/4:56 <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.keith.coloradok5.com>http://www.keith.coloradok5.com</A>

3. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

&lt;GASP&gt; but using a Linear amp with a CB is illegal as per the FCC, and a sin against humanity of unspeakable lengths!! oh wait, I have one..... nevermind.

if you don't mind spending 20-40 bucks at a CB shop, they can open it up, and fine tune it to put out more then the 4 watt maximum, but not by much. my current setup, I bought from a truck driver as a matched set... the CB was peaked, and tweeked to SWR to just barely over 1 with the linear amp. the key to using one, is to not get caught, ie, only use it on occasions that you need that extra little power ( 200 watss is little?) and keep it turned off for most of the time. if the FCC catches you using one, you lose your set, and face a hefty fine, as well as being suspended from CB usage for 1 year at the least.... in uber extreme cases, like most government agencies, they can confiscate your entire rig with it.

Good luck with it tho,

-Rich

Visualize an atlantic 442 Steam engine running at full tilt here...

4. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

My question is how the hell are they going to catch you if your just using it like on the trails or just while in transit to and from work???? I've never seen no FCC police!

My president is Steve Fox.
    90-350TBI-TCI700-241-33"-10 bolts w/4.10's,
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</A>

5. Roostr84

Roostr84 1/2 ton status

My dad got arrested when he was younger for building a radio station with his friends. The stole a transmiter from the FAA base and the records from a radio station one of his friends worked at. Then they set it up with a reciever of some sort on the roofs of their families houses to keep amppliphying the signal down through the town. He said when the wind would blow a certain way it would cut out one of the local stations (mind you this was AM). Anyway the FBI came around with one of those trucks with the dish on top following the signal and tracked it to the dish on my grandmothers house. She had no idea it was there and was quite surprised by the FBI raid. LOL anyway, just thought I would relay a funny story on the FCC police. I dont know what they would do about a CB. Also my dad and his friends got off because the FBI were so shocked that they figured out how to build this thing

Chris =)
    http:// www.roostr84.coloradok5.com

6. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

Chances are you won't ever get caught by the FCC po po... one of my trucker friends said they used to screw with teh FCC whenever they came aorund: raise and lower the dynamike, flip thier linears on and off, etc. if you make yourself a royal pain with your linear, then you'll get caught. I currently only use mine for backroad trails, ocasional long distance comm with firends farether then my standard effective 5 mile radius, and letting everyone on the freeway know there's a cop with a radar gun at mile marker X. ( its loud enough that in cars near by, it gets picked up by pezio tweeters)

just remember, the price of getting caught is the suspension of your CB rights for 1 year, possible jail time ( depending on offense), and generaly confiscation of your radio, and all equipment associated with it ( your rig) your best cover would be to get a HAM license, and either use the HAM, or have your linear burried in wiht your ham, and CB eq, so as to make it nearly impossible to tell wether it belongs or not.

-Rich

7. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

What do these FCC people drive? I ain't never seen one....

SK-15
    J**P...it's whats for dinner!
    Roads? Where we're going, we don't need any roads!
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://SK-15.coloradok5.com>http://SK-15.coloradok5.com</A>

8. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

I havn't seen one either, but from what my friends have told me, a white pannel van with no markings, except a Government class plate ( in AZ, that means the platnumber starts G-_ _ _-_ _ _ or, G-_ _ _ _ _ ) and a couple of antennas on them. another one got pulled over by one in a white pickuptruck with a directional antenna in the bed, ( he was using profane language on his CB, so he got off with a ticket) they do exist, but &lt;shrug&gt; I havn't seen them either.

-Rich

9. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

You won't see the FCC unless you do something to piss 'em off. [​IMG] You don't find them, they find you. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</A>
    It's a great day to be alive...

10. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

yeah... what he said... example of this was about a year ago, some guy would occasionaly jack into the police radio network, and threaten to `kill all you pig bastards' the guy made his fatal mistake when he made 2 radio transmissions in the same day.... the first one tipped the FCC off, the second one they were able to traingulate him with abut 20 different people, and narrowed it down to about 8 houses in a neighbor hood.... the one with the giant yagi(sp?) mast was the culprit.

-Rich

11. OU812

OU812 Registered Member

In my opinion just get a decent radio and a good antenne. Find a rep cb shop let them do the install and have your radio peaked and tweaked. Dont worry about putting power into it unless you have money to burn. I just got mine set up cobra 148 (old one my grandfather gave me 10 years ago) had it peaked and tweaked $25 and a Wilson 1000 this thing gets out without any power put to it, although I do have a 250w box but it isnt even in the truck and dont think I will put it in. MOst guys with power are a$$holes anyway just want to squash ya and not let you carry on a conversation. Well good luck they are really handy on the trail.

One totaled 75 GMC Jimmy, 51 M-38 Willys, 74 Chevy 1/2 ton

12. Gopherkiller

Gopherkiller 1/2 ton status

POWER, you can never run too much POWER!!! GOPHERKILLER

13. SubYuman

SubYuman 1/2 ton status

I never had a problem running with a sideband. Using sideband gets you out farther for the same power and with fewer people using it, there are more places you can get a clear open channel.
    We are in the middle of the UP side of the sunspot cycle, so you CAN get out with just 4 watts.
    Remember, to add 3db or double your signal, you need to multiply your power by 10. 400 watts triples your signal strength, and "tweaking" can make your radio transmit out of channel enough to cause signal bleed over into other channels.
    If you can't get a good signal in or out, check your radio and antenna..... A good radio, Cobra, Cherokee or even Realistic,(my favorite is a Ranger 2950, it can be easily converted to CB from 10 meters, is illegal for non-Hams, but since it can become a CB with 10 watts of power, it is a good choice) and a good antennna, Wilson, Firestik K40....get your Ham ticket. GMRS isn't free, but it works pretty well on the trail also.
    I prefer 6 meter sideband, but then I am a Ham.... one of those good for nothing No Coders ( let's just forget I teach propagation and antenna theory )
    KC7NRY DE Walt (Ham speak for this is my callsign and my name)

14. colorado_emt

colorado_emt Registered Member

It's not hard to find where a radio is coming from. You can buy kits in lots of Ham mags. Now these are preety acurate can you imagine what the FCC has. If you mess around on anything other than CB (i.e. Police, Fire, TV, Ham) your chances are good you'll get busted. Look for vans usally white or black with four antennas the same length arranged in a square on the roof. you may also see others.