Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

CB's

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by BlazerGuy, May 7, 2000.

1. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

CB\'s

What kind of CBs do yall have, and how do they perform? Do any of you have a SSB? I was thinking about buying a Cobra SSB, my Radio Shack unit took a dump on me. thanks

<font color=green>Money</font color=green>--&gt;Blazer

2. Gold Rush

Gold Rush 1/2 ton status

3. slodawg

slodawg 1/2 ton status

Re: CB\'s

I run a Cobra 29LTD (Not a sound tracker,just the original 29) ITs tuned and peeked with a con-ex board and modulation kit. With the right coax and good ground on the attena I can talk with the big boys.(i have a little power to but wont get into that) SSB is cool but most the folks I know dont have it.

4. 78Blazer

78Blazer 1/2 ton status

I have a 29ltd classic forsale... 45 bucks..

Scott
    78blazer

5. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

What is the matter with the CB? I repair them on the side.Could save you a few bucks. I also have been known to tweak a bit...nothing unlawful mind you...hehehehehe

<font color=green>[​IMG]Eagle86K5[​IMG]<font color=red>
    Masonry...It's a Good Thing
    2B1ASK1

6. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

I run a President Grant Import. For those of you that don't spend much time around CB's or didn't back when they were REAL cool, that the special edition that came with a few "special" options.

Also run a Wilson 1000 5' whip magmount.

Kyle
    89K5

7. mudfanatic

mudfanatic 1/2 ton status

148 GTL with a few "special" mods I think that it has close to 200 channels and puts out around an 8watt deadkey
    on am and over 10 watts with tone on sideband (the gage only went to 10 watts, the needle was pegged)
    this extra wattage is very helpful while off roading and you get away from the group a ways but of course in the city you need to turn down the dynamic and rf gain.
    '77 K5

<font color=red>mudfanatic</font color=red>[​IMG]

8. BlueKnight

BlueKnight 1/2 ton status

Had a Uniden PC122 with SSB peeked and tweaked until someone wanted it more than me. Right now I have a nice little digital radio shack 40 channel unit, with built in WX band and channel 9 priority monitoring. It also has memory presets to. Works great no trouble and TX's 5X5 SWR is 1.2:1

<font color=purple>79' K-5 396cid 600hp, TH350, NP203</font color=purple>
    http://79blueknight.homepage.com

9. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I run a Cobra 29 with weather chanels and STracker. I think its 29WSST or something like that. I also have a kiker for the hard to reach times. Its ok but if I was to get a new one it would be something like the Lincoln 10meter/11meter +Upper and lower bands and extra chanels. It bacically has it all. That and a 250W Palendale boot and your set..

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG]

10. RaisedK5

RaisedK5 1/2 ton status

Hey Eagle, i got a fairly decent Radio Crack CB that i think got a little wet and fried one transistor or resistor or something, i have the diagram in the owners manual,and the little chared dealy, but i dont know squat about electronics, think you might want to take a look for me?

RaisedK5

"Friends don't let friends drive Fords"

11. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

sure, I do electronics repair and design for a living, send private message and I will give you the details...

2B1ASK1

12. 88Jimmy

88Jimmy 1/2 ton status

President Lincoln

350 Vortec TPI D60 14Bolt 4.56 4"lift 35 BFG A/T

13. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

It really get me all of you are smart guys, from the sound of it one or two could get some type of HAM easy and stop playing with very unlegal CB's My ham 2 meter lets me talk to guys 50 to 60 miles away In most places if need be I can use it to call for help on the phone. I can find the weather, the local fire and police dept. I can even make it so only the ones I'm talking to can hear me.

But yes I do have a CB in the truck too!

KB0ZNR

14. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

I have a Realistic TRC 451 SSB and love it. Only a couple of guys have SSB around here, I wish there were more. I also have a Colt 485 Black Shadow, that is an awesome radio but I think its messed up. Its super finnicky of the match of antenna and I may have blown something inside.
    I have a steel 8' whip on the back bumper.
    Mike

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]
    <font color=red>Lets Go Wheelin! </font color=red>

15. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

ok, so i got on this post a little late. the price i pay for only having online access at work.
    where do y'all mount your cb's? i put mine in when i'm going on a trip, i just use sticky tape to hold it to the side of my (raised) console. i have a cigarette lighter in the front of the console support, and it has leads to hook up the cb. i want to mount it permanent, but can't decide where.
    BTW, it's a pieceofshit radio shack that was given to me, what is a (cheap) good (cheap) cb for a guy that wants to keep his family safe and informed on the highway, and bullshit with the fellas on the trail?
    and i've got no problem sending it to anyone for mods, illegal or not. i really don't think big brother cares about my cb as much as some of the other stuff i do.....

<font color=purple>delta9blazer</font color=purple>

16. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Hey delta here is were I have mine mounted, see attachment... The dune flag and entena(kinda hard to see the entena on the right side, sorry) are mounted with bolt on type mounts and i use the Wilson Fiberglass type that is rated at 500W. It seems to work well so far...

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG]

17. RaisedK5

RaisedK5 1/2 ton status

Hey Eagle, i tried to send a private message it said it couldn't do it. Let me know how to get in touch with you, i want to fix this thing cause it appears to be a pretty decent radio, and it worked fine before it rained with the top off.

RaisedK5

"Friends don't let friends drive Fords"

18. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

Ok, CB's is one thing I know nothing about but I'd like increase my signal. Without running a huge whip attenna, how do I get more power. I recently purchased a Maxxon CB which was smaller than most so it could fit in my Tuffy console.

Any help would be appreciated.

[​IMG]

Shawn
    <font color=blue>87 K5</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>454, 6", D60, 14 blt, 465, 205</font color=red>
    www.off-road.com

19. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

This is what you need .......
    http://www.coaxkid.com/amplist.htm
    Just make sure you have an atena that can handel the amout of watts you add to you configuration!!
    If you need more info just let me know!!

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG] Led Zeppelin

20. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

There are several ways to increase your signal strength without going covert, type of antenna, placement of the antenna, tuning the antenna, using the right size and length coax, adding a power mike, making damn sure you got a good ground on both the antenna and the radio to make use of the ground plane. I could sit here and write a short book on how to install and tune and set up a radio, but everyone has his/her own way of doing things and I am not about to start another going to the bathroom contest.
    Some easy things to do...go to radio shack and get a Standing Wave Ratio (SWR) meter and tune your antenna. They usually come with instructions. Add a power mike to increase your modulation output, these are nice as they also cut down on background noise.
    Those that would like more detailed instructions drop a private message and I will email more to you and not take up the room here. Thanks....
    I apoligize to those who tried to send a private earlier, I had it turned off due to the ramblings of a certain "gentleman" and I use the term very loosly....back on now....

2B1ASK1