Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

CB's

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tomford, Sep 8, 2006.

1. tomford

tomford 1/2 ton status Premium Member

hey guys

what kinda CB's do you have/ suggest?

also what antenna's do you guys use for your pickup's

thanks
    tom ford

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Lots of guys like the Wilson 1000 antenna . Everybody likes the Cobra radios .

I run an old Realistic my Dad ran through and gave me the extra frequencies and more power . I also have been running my own tuned antenna that I recently ripped off on a tree . So I may be running a magnet mount Wilson 1000 too :thumb:

3. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have a MIDLAND 79-290, a footwarmer and a Wilson 5000. Super range and reception. Spend your $$ on a good antenna.

4. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[​IMG]
    Cobra 29 Classic

[​IMG]
    102" SS whip!

5. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

The 102 is a great way to go depending on your mount. I have mine mounted on the roof, but if you are mounting lower a 102 is great.

6. ssped

ssped 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I am just running a midland I picked up for 29$ on ebay. if you want good the only way to go is a cobra 148gtl. I am staying cheep the only use for it is to reach others on the trail mainly for me and we are only a few hundred feet apart.

7. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

as with alot of stuff here on CK5,,it really depends on the use it's going to get, if you are like me, i used to drive truck OTR, you tend to get alittle better quality stuff, never did the "big radio" thing though, just a decent Cobra 148 style, and a good quality antenna.

If strickly for trail use, you just need something small and compact, like a Cobra 19 or smaller, even those little two knobby Midlands are good little units, and could get away with a basic magnet mount antenna.

8. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

I'd tell you 2 meter HAM, but unless everyone else you go with has the same equipment you'd have no one to talk to.

Might be worth looking at a 10 meter HAM rig & mod it to work in the cb's 11 meter freq range.

9. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

PC78 Elite (modded)
    X-200
    102"SS

10. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

crappy cobra dx19(get a better one)
    5 foot firestick, works great can hear everyone, Just do not have the balls to get **** out with my radio

11. tomford

tomford 1/2 ton status Premium Member

where can i get the 102"SS whip antenna?

where do you guys with k-10's put the antennas?

thanks
    tom ford

12. mudslinger99

mudslinger99 1/2 ton status

Galaxy radio
    Wilson antenna
    Texas Star amp

That should get you started with some top quality equipment..

13. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If you are dialup, sorry. :(

Second to last pic here:

http://dyeager535.topcities.com/frankentruckpics.html

I'll keep my GM all GM, thank you. :)

To be perfectly honest, I never need it anymore. I have a steel whip antenna mounted up, but with the advent of the (cheap) FMRS or whatever hand-held radios, there is little point I see in CB's anymore, at least in my case. All my friends/relatives have them, same or better range (if legal) and handier.

Only places I can see a CB being handy anymore is on the logging roads where log trucks still call out alerts on the CB, or on the highway for whatever reason.

14. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

i personally think these antennas are overrated, one main reason they are called "whips" they whip everything around them when you're wheelin'

there are SO many other antenna options out there now, that will work just as good, if not better than the 102" whip, and are alot shorter in profile.

just expressing an opinion here:D

*edit* yes, i know they are all technically 102" antenna material, just coiled up somewhere on the antenna unit.;)

Last edited: Sep 9, 2006
  15. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Had to mail order for the unit, got the antenna local. Very few CB people in LA, CA.
    Its a Burb so I put the mag mount in the center of the roof, huge ground plane.

P9090600.JPG

P9090602.JPG

16. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

what I had..

I've had many CB's..Cobra 148 GTL is a good Single Sideband one ,and I've had Midland,Uniden (now part of Cobra) and Realistic (Radio Shack) older models...they all work well for short range comunnication,the SSB ones will go three times farther and there is less interference than "AM" CB channels..I also have a factory Delco AM/FM/CB from a 78 Caddy in one of my trucks--fit its dash perfectly!..( but I'd rather have a cassette and CD player instead!)

Other brands more pricey are Galaxy,Ranger,"President" ...I used a 102" Stainless steel whip on most of my CB's,but also had good results with "Firestick" antennas..easy to tune to a low SWR,and they don't have to be a full 102" to get good results..I never used a Wilson,they are probably good..

I kind of agree with Dorian...since the release of the newer FM band walkie-talkies,CB's with 5 watts of power on the 27 Mghz band just cant compete with the clarity or range of FM..but it IS a lot quieter on the 40 CB channels lately,now that everyone has cell phones and the new style walkie-talkies..

I find it easy to talk on the CB now,but there isn't that many others out there to talk back to you like there used to be years ago..

Channel 19 is still busy though,giving traffic reports and "Smokey" sightings..but I haven't turned my CB on in a few months!--I use it a lot more during snowstorms while plowing..:crazy:

17. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I had a mag mount, really strong one, but the tree limbs and bushes kept knocking it off...............that's gotta be a big problem in So. Cal. and the So. West also!!! :rolleyes:

18. Cajun4x4

Cajun4x4 1/2 ton status

cobra 25LTD with a wilson 1000

19. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

When the UPS guy shows up with my box , I am fixing the NMO mount in the roof , and running a dedicated 2 meter antenna there ( with rain cap while wheeling LOL ) . I am trying to get my father in law , or my Dad to part with a nice full featured radio ( I have HT's , and a 100 watt amp so the HT can sing :pimp: )

I am going to save my Blazer Bash money and not get a Mag mount antenna right now for CB wheeling . I ordered a tube mount and got the broken NMO out of my 3/8's adapter . So I don't "need" a new antenna :D:D

20. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

I have Cobra 19 ultra 40 channel foe each K5.... If I find a better one cheap enough I might change it out... I have a SS 102 whip antenna on the '74, but I want to find a magnetic mount antenna for my '78