Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

CCC Q-Jet and HEI Dist......Worth Advancing the Timing??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ford_assassin, Jan 7, 2004.

1. ford_assassin

ford_assassin 1/2 ton status

I was just wondering if I would gain any power/mpg if I advanced my timing on my stock 350 that's in my '86 K5.

I already have a Crane HI-6 Fireball ignition installed, other than that everything else is stock.

Thanks guys!!

2. Ben

Ben Registered Member

I have heard different opinions on this so I don't know.... Some say play with the timing until it pings then back it off until it stops. You'll have to experiment though. Hook up the timing light, loosen the distributor, set the timing, readjust it again.... I have set my timing at 4, 6, 8, 10, and 12 and now it's at 10 on the 305 I have. Seems to run fine. Picking up MPG though? I figure if I can drive a full size heavy beast blazer then gas price shouldn't be a problem. Your best bet is to experiment with the timing. Each truck has its own characteristic.

3. ford_assassin

I am not sure the advancing 'til it pings thing is the right way on a computer controlled dist. I could be wrong though.

I forgot to mention earlier that I don't wanna stop using 87 octane gas. The stock 350 only has 8.2:1 CR from the factory and I am sure its even lower now with 100K on the clock.

4. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

When my 85' still had the old 350 and CCC carb, I just set the timing about 8 to 10 degrees advance. That seemed to work the best and you shouldn't have any problem with the computer but make sure you unplug it before you try to set the timing otherwise the computer will play the advance while you try to adjust it.

I run about 12 degrees advance on my 406 now.

5. ford_assassin

[ QUOTE ]
    When my 85' still had the old 350 and CCC carb, I just set the timing about 8 to 10 degrees advance. That seemed to work the best and you shouldn't have any problem with the computer but make sure you unplug it before you try to set the timing otherwise the computer will play the advance while you try to adjust it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you still running the CCC stuff with the 406? If not, how are you passing the visual part of the Cali SMOG tests? I also noticed that you are running dual flow's. Are you running a true-dual setup with two CATS and two flow's? If so, I too wonder how you are passing SMOG.

I live 2 hours down the 99 from you in Hanford (just south of Fresno). I have alot of family in Modesto too, the next time I come up I'd love to see your rig.

6. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you still running the CCC stuff with the 406? If not, how are you passing the visual part of the Cali SMOG tests? I also noticed that you are running dual flow's. Are you running a true-dual setup with two CATS and two flow's? If so, I too wonder how you are passing SMOG.

[/ QUOTE ] I am not running the CCC setup on my 406. A 406 isn't a legal swap anyway. I have an edelbrock performer Q-jet and a good ol' vaccuum advance dist. I have true dual exhaust with 40 series flowmasters out 5" tips with no cats at all, just pipe and mufflers. It sounds a lot better and I could really feel a difference without the cat in there. And you guest it... It is not smog legal. My dad and I have our own business and we have a few vehicles registered in Nevada under our corporation name. I might register my Blazer next August in the company name and no longer have to deal with smog. That is the only reason why I don't have headers because the 50 state legal doug thorleys are like $500 bucks and I don't wan't smog headers if I just go ahead and register it in Nevada. Oh, and the last time I smogged it I still had the old 350 in that barely passed the sniffer even with all the emmissions crap. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    I only have about 7 or 8K on the new 406.
    [ QUOTE ]
    I live 2 hours down the 99 from you in Hanford (just south of Fresno). I have alot of family in Modesto too, the next time I come up I'd love to see your rig.

[/ QUOTE ] My girlfriend lives in Fresno and I have the K5 down there periodically. Whats your phone #? I will give you a ring next time I have it down there and maybe we can take the K5's and meet half way or something, that would be awesome! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Maybe you could run with us to pizmo sometime this year!

7. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

your best power and mileage and performance would happen when the timing is set to what its supposed to be, try to set it at where manifold vacuum is between 18-22, if at all possible- depending on cam thats in engine

8. ford_assassin

[ QUOTE ]
    Oh, and the last time I smogged it I still had the old 350 in that barely passed the sniffer even with all the emmissions crap.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's odd, my '86 passed better than most EFI trucks the last time I SMOG'd it. I don't think I'll have any truoble with the new stroker either considering the mild 9:1 CR and R/V cam.

[ QUOTE ]
    Maybe you could run with us to pizmo sometime this year!

[/ QUOTE ]

That'll be great, I normally go to Pismo 3-4 times a year anyway.

9. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Oh, and the last time I smogged it I still had the old 350 in that barely passed the sniffer even with all the emmissions crap.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's odd, my '86 passed better than most EFI trucks the last time I SMOG'd it. I don't think I'll have any truoble with the new stroker either considering the mild 9:1 CR and R/V cam.

[ QUOTE ]
    Maybe you could run with us to pizmo sometime this year!

[/ QUOTE ]

That'll be great, I normally go to Pismo 3-4 times a year anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]I've never seen one of our CCC trucks run better than a FI motor. Mine ran OK but didn't make any power. Also it ran rich and burned some oil which is the main reason it almost didn't pass.
    You shouldn't ahve any prob with your stroker as long as it doesn't burn oil and the carb is tuned right.
    For Pismo, great! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    So do you wan't to meet down by Fresno sometime?

10. ford_assassin

[ QUOTE ]
    For Pismo, great! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    So do you wan't to meet down by Fresno sometime?

[/ QUOTE ]

Just give a week or two advanced notice for Pismo and I'll be there. I am definely going when the new stroker is installed.

Fresno's a nice 45 min drive, no worries. I have FRI's/SAT's off, so anytime is cool. There is an "In & Out" off the Jensen exit, its the normal meeting spot for the 99 travelers.

11. ford_assassin

Oh, do you mind sharing your complete 400 engine combo?

Cam specs, compression ratio, heads, head work, etc. Details are great!!

Oh, I didn't catch your first name? Mine is Cable (yes, its odd, but true).

12. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Does your truck have a knock sensor? What we found on another CCC CA truck was that the knock sensor was apparently NOT used on some 350 trucks.

Makes sense, the compression ratio was much lower on the 350's. Advancing it till it pings MIGHT work then. I would probably just go 1 or 2* more or less at a time.

13. ford_assassin

[ QUOTE ]
    Does your truck have a knock sensor? What we found on another CCC CA truck was that the knock sensor was apparently NOT used on some 350 trucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

You know, have no idea. I had assumed it would have one, although I never checked. I'll look later today and report my findings.

14. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    I don't think I did.
    You know, have no idea. I had assumed it would have one, although I never checked. I'll look later today and report my findings.

[/ QUOTE ]

15. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    Oh, do you mind sharing your complete 400 engine combo?

Cam specs, compression ratio, heads, head work, etc. Details are great!!

Oh, I didn't catch your first name? Mine is Cable (yes, its odd, but true).

[/ QUOTE ]
    I have it all listed on my profile... My name is Bobby.
    Jensen Exit would work fine! South of Fresno...i think i've taken that exit before. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif