Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

CCW Anyone?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Jagged, Aug 25, 2006.

1. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

I'm making a list of guns to check out when I get home;

Taurus 24/7
    Springfield XD
    Sig P229
    Glock 22

Not for immediate purchase, just looking to see what I'd want to use for CCW when I get around to taking the course. The .357 isn't a good idea for that (something to do with a ported barrel I think).

Any other's you'd recommend? I'd like to try to find something in .40 S&W.

2. gofergurl

gofergurl 1/2 ton status

You and your toys. At least collecting guns doesn't take up as much space as collecting cars. ;)

3. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

HK USP Compact. .45.

4. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Speaking of cars I need that email again for the power of attorney. I never got it mailed before I left Site 6, and the gnomes stole it.

5. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I just had some hands on with a friends Sig p239 . I couldn't believe it was a metal framed gun , it was so light . It could also be had with two different barrels for either .357sig or .40s+w . They both use the same magazines . And unlike other times makers tried using drop in barrels , the Sig ones work well :thumb:

6. gofergurl

gofergurl 1/2 ton status

You should have it shortly!

7. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Good question, I just walked in the house from the gun shop, looked at a Taurus PT140 and XD Subcompact both in .40. Almost identical in weight, size and profile, but features and price are different.

I'd like to know as well what some opinions are on this.

Also some opinions on the .40 cartridge, never shot one.

(didn't mean to hijack, but it's on topic at least)

8. pauly383

It has it haters , because some people love 10mm and want it to come mainstream . I love it though . It will kick pretty good in a polymer framed pistol . I shoot a DAO S+W in .40S+w and have consistent middle of chest shots at the range after getting used to it . I feel its a good compromise between the 9mm and .45acp :D

9. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

I had the Pt140, great gun

10. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

You think it'd make a good CCW weapon (I know the size is OK, but how did it shoot, did it hang up in a holster etc.)? I am getting mine this winter and want to be comfortable with the gun I take the course with.

I've also never owned a DAO, only shot a few but it seems like they're all going to that in the sub's. Would probably be better for clearing the holster as well. (edit: just checked and the taurus site says DA/SA, guess it's just hammerless)
    Any other comments on it?

11. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Shot reliably and very on target.

Sights were very nice.

Mag has a nice capacity.

Trigger pull was long, but managable.

I had it in a PT111 holster, and it was too tight.

You can use Ruger P89 holsters for it, as I have found out.

It pulled well from the P89 holster. You have to have a heavy grip on it, but you should anyway, to manage the hop of it. It's like a short barrel .357mag

12. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

13. chevyin

chevyin 1/2 ton status

Kimber made a very nice .40SW a few years ago when I was looking at them. Ended up buying a desert eagle instead.

Ive yet to fire a .40SW but everything Ive read has been positive. A knowledgeable friend told me they have approx the same knock-down force as a .357mag. Obviously I can't confirm that myself, but very impressive if true.

14. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

I've had a CCW for 5 years and love it. I carry an S&W 4043 Tactical .40S&W. The wife has a 2" barrel Taurus .357MAG/.38SPCL, and we have his & her hunting rifles (a .270 and a 30.06)

I like the .40 - it's a good round for home defense but I wouldn't trust it against a pissed off bear. I really want to add a .44MAG to my arsenal for wheeling/camping but it'll be a little while before I can spare $ on a gun....

15. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

I've had my CCDW since 1998. I've carried a KelTec P11 9mm AND their P40 in .40SW. The .40 kicks pretty bad - muzzle rise is way too much for this lightweight composite framed pistol (P40). I stopped carrying it and switched to the 9mm (P11). I believe KelTec even discontinued production on it in favor of a .380.

In the woods? No less than a S&W Mod. 29 .44mag. "Go ahead punk - make my day!" :haha:

Last edited: Aug 27, 2006
  16. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

I shot the XD a little while ago, it was a bit to light for my taste. By the time the mag was nearly empty, the dang thing weighed half as much and seemed to shoot different than when the mag was full. Maybe it's just me, I'll stick with my double stacked 1911. :D 14 rounds of 235 gr hardball will get it done for me.
    [​IMG]

17. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I like CZ hand guns too. They are a high quality gun and can be bought for a resonable price. Not real fond of 9mm Luger. Rather have one of these for CC :http://www.cz-usa.com/product_detail.php?id=63
    I like the ambidextrous safety. Handy for us leftys.

PVFJR.
    How do you like your "Rock"? I have an Armscor 1911 too and love it. Sweet shooting weapon

18. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

I love it. I've got 500+ rounds through it without a single malfunction. There was no "break in". Even came with a beavertail, skeletonized trigger and hammer, etc, all from the dealer. $375 too :D

19. pauly383

That is on my list of wanted items . Its not the next one , as the wife wants the Sig next .

20. Bushwhacker

Bushwhacker 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I currently carry a Glock 27 in .40 S&W. Shoots very well. I handload alot of my own ammo for it and have been able to get very tight consistent groups with this tiny hand cannon. I added a grip extension to get a better hold on it. Alot more controllable with 3 fingers on the grip vs. two.:D

Clay

Picture 003.jpg