Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

cd deck installation

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Grant G, May 27, 2000.

1. Grant G

Grant G Newbie

How hard is it to make the modifications to install a cd player in a 69-73 blazer or jimmy?

2. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Just read the other posts. It has been discussed in detail in one just a few lines down.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

3. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

Boy, that was helpfull!! In answer to your question, It can be difficult because you have to cut thru metal. I used a dremel tool, it took a while but it came out nice. If you use a dremel tool use the cutting discs reinforced with fiberglass, and use eye protection I had one break apart at 10k rpm and pieces hit my face and cut me up ....also you are mounding the sleeve to a big piece of metal so you can get a ground loop that causes alternator whine and static. Anywhere a piece of the stereo or sleeve touched a metal part of the truck I tried to insulate it..with rubber washers or if you are desperate you can use electrical tape..good luck

4. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

Never thought of that.
    I have this turbosound that kicks in and my reciving is shitty at best.
    I will try to insulate where the player touches the metal and see.
    Learn something every day here..

<font color=blue>Espen88k5</font color=blue>

5. CrazeeBush

CrazeeBush 1/2 ton status

The chassis os newer head unit should be insulated already. I've had a pioneer and a Panasonic now and both were metal to meatl. No noise what so ever. A lot of times noise can be traced directly to speaker wire and RCA wires running too close to power wire. If you have a jumble of wires you are bound to have noise. Just make sure you are neat about your wiring and everything will turn out well.

6. CrazeeBush

CrazeeBush 1/2 ton status

Also, I'm about to remove mine fomr the dash and make me a console that I can mount the head unit in. If you go that route the unit can't play CD's at very steep angles.

7. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

I wish I had know about the cd changers for cars. I would have gotten a better tape player and threw in a changer for the best of both worlds.....my 2 pennies...

<font color=green>[​IMG]Eagle86K5[​IMG]<font color=red>
    Masonry...It's a Good Thing
    2B1ASK1