Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

cd head unit is crazy

Discussion in 'Audio' started by fallriverk5, Mar 19, 2005.

1. fallriverk5

fallriverk5 Newbie

i just put a cd head unit into my 97 yukon and it's acting crazy !!!! it's losing power about 3 sec. after you turn it on .... i checked the wires, the are all getting the right amount of power, have the wiring harness hooked up the right way .... but one minute it has power the next it don't ...???? i actually tried 3 different cd units and they all did the same thing ..... any idea's would be helpful....

2. flatline

flatline 1/2 ton status

Check the wiring harness plug, it may be loose at the connector or on the actual cd player unit itself, I lost a channel off my pioneer because of it.

My 2001 Mustang had the same problem with the mach 460 sound system amplifiers being mounted to the floor of the trunk, If I was to put to the carpet back in my radio wouldn't work - that's how I found out what the problem was.

buy yourself a circuit tester and check the wiring you may have a bad harness that can be repaired by a audio shop for around $25-$50 or you could try to superglue it ??

3. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Are you sure you've "tapped" the correct wires to provide power?

If you have a test light, it would be interesting to "probe" the wires you've spliced and make SURE that they are truly "key on" power, and "constant power" (key on for the deck, constant to hold the memory presets)

Seems suspcious that 3 decks all have a problem....I'm thinking there's a wiring issue or possibly you've tapped a wire that's not really a constant power source..... :thinking:

4. fallriverk5

fallriverk5 Newbie

circuit tested the consant & ignition power ...they are hooked up correct . the only wires i didn't hook up is the dimmer & power ant. ??? the yukon doesn't have power ant. .. i do have them taped off ..so they aren't touching anything

is it possible it's the factory harness with a frayed wire or bad ground ????
    thanks for the help so far .........:confused:

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Save yourself the headacke and just wire it fron scratch with all new wires.