Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

CD head unit?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by taterblazer, Nov 26, 2001.

1. taterblazer

taterblazer 1/2 ton status

What would be better a Nakamichi or Alpine CD player? Thanks!

2. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

There isn't a real definite answer to this one. They are both companies that have great reps and have been around a long time. I would say Alpine is more popular and might be easier to find though. You'd be safe going with either one. Compare the specs, options and prices...do some listening and then you should know which one to pick.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

3. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

Nakamichi , every stereo head I've ever talked to will tell you they have no equal when it comes to sound quality. From last I knew they don't offer nifty little gadgets and pretty dolphins on the screen but sound quality is what they are all about.
    my .02

Like em big and topless
    Excuse me...Would you mind removing your import from under my chevy?

4. taterblazer

Done some more research and the Naks have a reputation for failing, in cars even. Then I started looking at the Pioneer premier and comparing it to Alpine. For the money you get better features on the Pioneer, remote, eq and 4v pre outs. That's pretty much decided it for me. Mostly the pre outs to tell the truth. Unless I dig up any more info pioneer it is. Still struggling with a sub woofer brand.. hmm

5. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Tater,

You have the right idea looking for "4-volt out" as a criteria....and as a benefit, there are only a handful of decks that offer that kind of output (or higher) so it allows you to narrow your list of choices very quickly.

There are a lot of manufacturers who would rather put "bells & whistles" on the deck to help sell them....the majority of the buying public makes their decision based on how pretty the faceplate is....not by the output voltage, source impedence, or type of D/A converters employed...!!

I remember looking at the Pioneer Premier series too.....they had one deck with 6.5V output! I know that Sony's C-90 is awesome too (though I've had some bad experiences with Sony quality) and I'm pretty sure Clarion makes a competition headpiece also.

You are on the path to musical nirvana! [​IMG]

-Greg72

'72 K5 Blazer - 427BB/TH350/NP205/6" Lift/35x12.50's
    <font color=blue>See it here: </font color=blue><a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun38>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun38</a>

6. taterblazer

Greg I'm getting excited, I'm going to order everthing today! Pretty much decided on a Diamond M1502 sub so far in the 10". It can handle up to 350 watt rms. Is driving it with a 320 w maximum rms amp, ppi 480 going to be a problem, the ppi is a 4X80, 2x320 amp? I'm thinking it will sound pretty good or would an image dynamics, 250w rms be better do you think because of the power rating? Do you think I might smoke the Image Dyanamics in this case. The front speakers(Diamond M5616in components) are rated at 170w so I won't be pushing them to the max at all running the amp 2x80, 1x320.

7. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Tater,

Don't get too caught up in the numbers game with the "watts"...as long as the amp is putting out clean power (undistorted), it is unlikely that you EVER blow the speakers.

I run 200 watts to each of my tweeters.....I'm not sure what their RMS rating is...but again it doesn't matter. The power is clean, and they'll last forever.

PLUS, unless you are planning on running your stereo at FULL BLAST playing test tones for hours....you'll probably never run the RMS amount of power into those speakers anyway. Most music is quick bursts of power (transients) anyway.....which is why the whole RMS-power rating system is really not all that helpful.

Spend your money on the best equipment you can afford, and don't sweat those RMS values!! [​IMG]

-Greg72

'72 K5 Blazer - 427BB/TH350/NP205/6" Lift/35x12.50's
    <font color=blue>See it here: </font color=blue><a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun38>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun38</a>

8. taterblazer

Thanks for the advice! It's tough to figure out what the best hardware is sometimes. So subjective. Went and listened to speakers yesterday. JL, PG and Diamond. The Diamond sounded the best but the store can make them sound how ever they want. If your paying more of course you want them to sound better. I'm not buying from them anyways. Would like to but for the same price I can get much better stuff online and I like the idea of doing my own install. They tried to sell me on an install to. About 300$. I didn't explain to him that blazer drivers install their own stuff. Why have someone else do it when it's so fun to do it myself!

9. Confederate9

Confederate9 1/2 ton status

i personally like my sony Xplod

<font color=red>K5: Because size DOES matter</font color=red>
    85 K5 4IN LIFT 35 GOOD YEAR WRANGLER MT/R, AMERICAN RACING WHEELS