Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

cd help

Discussion in 'Audio' started by bking, Aug 9, 2001.

1. bking

bking 1/2 ton status

I just fitted a new Jensen cd player in my K5. In the instruction booklet it said to connect the main yellow wire to a constant power supply, this is for the clock and radio station memory. So, I spliced into the ciggy lighter and it worked fine, however, next day my new battery was totally dead. I used one of those Schorsche ? fit kits, connect it up sweet, however I have a 'spare' wire, it's orange and I think (According to the fit kit info) that its called 'lamp' I had this connected to the ciggy lighter too, is that the problem? I disconnected this 'lamp' wire and the cd still works fine, do you think this orange wire somehow was draining the battery? I don't want to go out tomorrow and it be dead again, where I live there's not too much traffic to ask anyone for a 'jump' Everything is connected properly, except this orange wire, what does anyone think?
    Basically the gray wire from the fuse box (Lamp) goes into this Schorshe adapter, and comes out the other side orange, with nowhere to go, I now have no dash lights.!

2. Cusm

Cusm 1/2 ton status

If I am not mistaken the lamp wire is to hook up to the light system(not sure where) so the stereo's display will dim when it is dark and you turn your lights on.
    One of the stereo gurus will be along shortly to answer with a lot more confidence and wisdom.

Good lord. The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up it's butt.

3. 91K5

91K5 1/2 ton status

The lamp wire you refer to should be connected to the headlight circuit somewhere. It is used to light up or change the display for night time driving. I wouldn't think that this would be enough to kill the battery, but if the battery was starting to get weak, and the stereo light being on long enough, it could drain a significant amount. If you can, try to connect the lamp wire somewhere near the fusepanel, to the wire that runs the headlights, or you can wire it to a circuit that is only powered when the car is on and you should be good to go.

4. Prembird

Prembird 1/2 ton status

Personally i dont even mess with that wire.. i just tape it up so it doesnt short out on anything... All the lamp wire does is dim the radio via the dimmer for you dash lights... Just leave it unhooked.. As for you dash lights goin out i would have to say more then likely when you hooked up the wire to the cig. lighter it probably blew out a fuse... seeing that the wire goin to the cig. lighter is an all time hot wire (on most vehicles) you turned the current from it backwords into the dash... Not a good thing to do.. Also by running it this way you could possiably cause a draw from the battery since it would not only be pulling for the radio but also for your dash lights and what not... So i would discontect that wire and just tape it off and out of the way... Check the fuse to see if it poped... let me know what happens... oh yea.. one more thing... i had that wire once touch on something behind the dash... kept blowning fuses left and right.. hit a bump and it would go.. no dash lights at all.. redid it to make sure that wouldnt happen again and never had another problem since...

Prembird
    [​IMG] <font color=blue> If it aint</font color=blue><font color=red> LOUD </font color=red><font color=blue> Then turn it </font color=blue><font color=red> UP</font color=red> [​IMG]

5. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Real easy answer here. Take the orange wire (its called the illumination wire) and cap it off or tape it off with Scotch Super 33+ electrical tape. Any other kind of electrical tape is cheap and will not last long in a car.
    The only reason you would need that wire would be if you bought a more expensive deck with an illumination feature on it like Prembird described. I've installed a crapload of Jensen decks and I've never seen one with that feature...thats why you can safely cap it off.
    The reason the fuse blew is because it pretty much grounded out your cigarette lighter wire when you connected the orange one. So put in a new fuse...cap off the orange wire and you should be good.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

6. bking

bking 1/2 ton status

Hey thanks a lot......So, can I still tap into the cig lighter wire without draining my battery?

7. bking

bking 1/2 ton status

Sweet, yep, 5A Ins fuse blown, Jesus, that's the last thing I'd have looked for, a blown fuse.! I thought it was my 'excellent' wiring' hahahaha that was the problem

8. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Yea, you'll be fine. As long as you're using an "always hot" wire attached to the yellow one of your Jensen harness. I never used the lighter power wire for the radio, but it will work. I always hated cutting into factory wires, so I would just run another wire and use a fuse tap to attach it into the fuse block.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

9. Prembird

Prembird 1/2 ton status

i have simple question for you.. I personally dont know alot about the wiring setup in blazers but there should already be a all time hot wire there from the factory... Why not just use that wire that is already there...

Prembird
    [​IMG] <font color=blue> If it aint</font color=blue><font color=red> LOUD </font color=red><font color=blue> Then turn it </font color=blue><font color=red> UP</font color=red> [​IMG]

10. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Think about it. Why would those old dirty Blazers need a constant wire for the radio? The reason all the newer cars/trucks have a +12 wire is to save the radio presets and the clock, etc. Remember those old radios that came stock in the older trucks? They didn't have any of those features so thats why they didn't need a constant wire...GM didn't even bother running one back there. Thats why you have to either tap into the fuse block or do what he did with the lighter.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

11. Prembird

Prembird 1/2 ton status

ok thats kewl.. like i said.. i didnt know the setup on the blazers... I know my old 71mustang had one and it came with a stock am radio and one speaker in the dash... So i wasnt sure if it did or not... Thanks for the info on that one..

Prembird

12. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Yea, I was the same way when I started installing fulltime. I pulled the radio out and wasted about 5 minutes looking for the constant wire. My supervisor got a pretty good laugh and then told me what I told you. It made sense after I heard it. I did some old Ford trucks that were the same way.
    The foriegn cars are usually nicer about that kinda thing. I was putting rear speakers in an old Camry or Corrolla or something and it had never had rear speakers in it ever. I gave myself enough time to run speaker wires back, but it turned out that the factory wires were already back there just waiting for the speakers.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

13. Prembird

Prembird 1/2 ton status

lol yea most cars nowadays are set up that way... prewired for everything... I know my car is prewired for all the options that are available for it.. even though i dont have a couple of them.. Its cheaper for them just to wire everything instead of this car and that car... less confusing and less lines running at the plants... hell when i was down at the fairfax gm plant here in kc some of the cars would come down the line with options that it shouldnt have... it called for a am/fm cass. but ended up with a cd player... stuff like that happens all the time down there come to find out... they dont care.. they just ship it anyways... or the funniest i think i saw was a blue grand prix (they make the grand prix and intregue here) with red bumper covers on both front and rear.... saw a couple of red mirrors on blue cars and blue mirrors on red.. or black... basically all the different colors.. you would see things all the time... but the red bumper covers on the blue car was one i wont forget....

Prembird

14. bking

bking 1/2 ton status

Re: cd help UPDATE

Well guys, thanks to all your posts here, my cd is working fine now.
    I was worried about the battery drain though, taped off the lamp wire, connected the cd overnight and low and behold, good battery this morning, so I can at last hide all the wiring, instead of twisting together the power wires each time I drive the k5.. Thanks again to everyone.

15. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Re: cd help UPDATE

Glad to hear everything worked out OK.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad