Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

CD/MP3 brands

Discussion in 'Audio' started by laketex, Apr 29, 2002.

1. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Allright, i know i've asked similar questions to this before but I want to make sure this time. I have the worst luck in creation with CD players. What I want is a CD/MP3 head unit for my 2wd dodge 2500. I got the tape player when I ordered it to save $600, and am going to put in a $200 dollarish player. Got on ebay and looked and there's aiwa, kenwood, and jvc units in this range. What should I look for and get??

2. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

I prefer Kenwood as I have had nothing but good luck with them. If you can hook up with a cd/mp3 player for around 200 bills, do it. That's a good deal from what I have seen. I would just try and get as many features as possible (RCA preouts, watts per channel, etc.) Seems what is bumping up the price on headunits lately is the unit being Sirius or XM sattelite radio ready. If you are not interested in this, the price ought to be significantly less.

3. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

nah i dont care about that. Just a good unit that plays both formats, doesn't skip, easy to use controls, and rca's for an amp.

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I've been very happy with my JVC. I've got the KD-LX50. It's kinda plain looking compared to a Kenwood, but I really like the features. 3 sets of pre-amp outs, line in, adjustable crossover, voice comand, sub output level...ect.

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I just checked Ebay. They have 7 JVC KD-LX50 headunits. I highly recomened it !!!!

6. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

The 3 sets of preouts is nice if you are lazy like me and don't like to splice wires.

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I run a 4 channel amp for the main speakers, and another amp for the subs. It's nice to still be able to use the fader without effecting the subs. The LX-50 also lets you controle the subs, IE crossover, volume, ...ect. I really like having 3 sets of pre-amp outs (RCA)

8. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

Look into a Panasonic 171U it plays both and we have had GREAT success with them in oilfield vehicles here that see the rough roads and they are pretty cheap also ;-)

9. Strahan

Strahan 1/2 ton status

I have a JVC KD-SH99, it's great. If you get an MP3 player, be sure it supports directories. I looked at a few before I got the JVC and they didn't support them so basically when you stuck a disc in with 150 songs if you wanted to get a specific song you may be pressing left/right ALOT heh.