Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

CD player fitting in 89 Burban

Discussion in 'Audio' started by afroman006, Sep 18, 2002.

1. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

All of the CD players I've seen are shaped more long and skinny but I know the hole in the dash one 80s chevies is short and tall so I am wondering how do people install CD players in their Burbans, K5s, etc.? Do companies make CD players to fit these holes or is it necessary to cut metal out of the dash to allow for the radio? thx

2. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

i just had an alpine CD player (p# CDM 7874) put in my 89 suburban yesterday. go to any stereo shop and tell them that you need an adapter kit to make a stereo fit in a 89 GMC/CHEVY suburban and they'll get you set up. i got this installation kit that would make one of the stereos you're talking about fit in any GM truck 82 up, read the instructions and install it. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Like Muddysub said, get a dash mounting kit for your make, model, year, and also get the wiring kit. You'll also need a antenna adapter.

4. Scooter

Scooter 1/2 ton status

hmm .. maybe the 89 is different but I didnt need any adapters for my antenna on my 87.

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I used to drive a 89 Beretta GT and GM had channged thier antenna leed, so a adapter was required for all aftermarket stereo's. I'm assuming GM changed them for thier truck line aswell.

6. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

If that has the din and a half sized radio (taller then most aftermarket) then the info above is all correct and it will need an antenna adpt

7. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

no you wont need an antenna adapter. i didn't anyway maybe it differs from brand to brand but with my alpine i didn't need an antenna adapter.

8. K05Aggie

K05Aggie 1/2 ton status

I left the stock stereo in. It's hooked up to the center dash speaker (a 4X10 swiped from the back). My CD player is in a center console I built just for it. If you don't want to mess with an adapter plate, Pioneer and Jensen make DIN and a half size CD players.

9. afroman006

Could you post pics of the console plz? It would be great. thx

10. K05Aggie

K05Aggie 1/2 ton status

I can get some pics, but it'll take some time. I'm at college right now and the digital camera is at home. But I'll post them as soon as I can.

11. K05Aggie

K05Aggie 1/2 ton status

12. afroman006

THX Man that's awsome. Screw $265 on a Tuffy! IT looks damn good too. What kind of locking mechanism are you planning on using? I will probably make one just like it because we have a pile of 2x12s just layin around and I'm bored alot. I'm thinking to cover the stereo to use a plate of steel that folds over the stereo compartment from the front and the big main lid closes on top of it. For a lock use one of the types of locks that have the little paddle that swings 90 degrees to lock under something. Thx I really appreciate the idea, you just saved me about $250 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

All the way up to 91 in K5's and Subs will not need an antenna adapter. However, 88 and newer pickups will require the adapter. GM didn't just pick one year for all cars to switch to the smaller antenna. Anywhere from about 86-91 its different from car to car. Caddys were the first to switch.