Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

CD Player: Vertical mounting

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by CarnivoreMan, Jun 3, 2006.

1. CarnivoreMan

CarnivoreMan Registered Member

Hey all. I built a little aluminum console tol hold my radio, CB, and two cup holders. The CB and Radio are mounted vertically now(Face up). I bought a mediocre Alpine deck and was flippin through the manual for wire colors when I happened upon a disheartening bit of information. It says "Do not mount unit more that 35 degrees from horizontal."

Then I cried. So for the time being I just have an old Alpine tape deck in there. The wiring plug in the back of the unit is the same as my new Alpine, so its a swap in/ swap out deal. I'm getting tired of listening to DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince. I mean their good, but man, i can only listen to Parents Just Dont Understand so many times.

Question: Have you guys ever mounted your CD Player vertically? I've heard their built to be on the horizontal plain, and thats the kind of shock the laser is meant to take. Mounting it otherwise can cause severe skipping and crap like that. I'm worried it may damage the alignment of the laser or something. I could not put it in the console there and make that hole a cell phone/ change / other crap hole, and mount the radio somewhere else. I dont want to bastardize my dash with the sawzall. Before doing that I would try and find someone with an already cut dash and swap as mine is in great shape. I did some searching on hear and heard mention of somehow rigging up remote controlls through a secondary radio. I have a crappy unit in the stock location currently that isnt used. ... or maybe I should just totally rebuild my console so I can have the deck at a 35 degree angle.

If I cant use the deck, I may just donate it to my Mustang project. That will need a deck.

Any thoughts/comments/concerns?

2. CarnivoreMan

Pics

Here are some pics of the console as it sits right now. If I flipped it 180 degrees so the cup holders are in front(which may be better anyway now that I've used it a bit), I might be able to fit the deck between the legs on the front of the console... but it would be upside down from where I sit and probably a bit hard to control. But I guess I may get the hang of it eventually.

[​IMG]

and
    [​IMG]

3. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

This is my solution:

stereo 004.jpg

stereo 005.jpg

4. CarnivoreMan

Is that styrofoam your using for spacers?

Good place though, I'll have to gander at that as an option. Thanks.

5. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

That foam is the packing the unit came in. I know it looks pretty bad, but it does an excellent job of isolating the unit. No skips on washboard dirt roads.:D The ammo can is a 7.62 unit. Everyone thinks it interferes with my knees, but it is actually about 12 inches away from contact. The back of the can is drilled for circulation, and I only use it with the cover open or off.

6. Jishory

Jishory 1/2 ton status

i have a jvc mounted vertical... seems like if the cd deck cant do that then it wouldnt be good in a wheeler, i can think of a million times my truck has been off level by more then 35 degrees...

7. CarnivoreMan

Jishory: From what I hear most arent officially vertical mountable, and ones that are seem to be hard to come by. I'm not sure how they perform the when trying it. I wonder if your JVC is meant for that position.. Either way, thats cool. Maybe I'll try mine vertical and see what happens.

3otT: If I decide against vertical, I may use that location... Thanks fer the pics too. Pictures are always so much easier to understand than all these word things.. at least for me. :D

8. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Well since your older deck is a TDM deck why not just get a CD Changer for the k-5.....

Last edited: Jun 6, 2006
  9. CarnivoreMan

Can I do that? I didnt know I could get a changer for that unit... I didnt even think of that. If I can... well sweet! I'll get the model number and look it up when I get a chance. Thanks!

10. Clockwork71

Clockwork71 Registered Member

You can get a cd changer that will work with your existing tape deck and mount that vertical in your console. The cd changer taps into the antenna and plays on some low number FM radio frequency(ex. 90.7).

11. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

If it's a TDM-_ _ _ _ you need to find a CHM-_ _ _ if you have a TDA-_ _ _ _ you'll need a CHA-_ _ _ .