Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

cd player wiring

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stizkidz, Jan 11, 2005.

1. stizkidz

stizkidz 1/2 ton status

I did about 80% of my CD Player install tonight. I cut apart the dash and fought with the old stock radio to remove it. I then hooked up a wiring harness that I wired together to connect the truck to the headunit. The headunit is a working unit, as I had it in another vehicle recently. The wiring harness that the truck has are 3 plugs. 2 for the speakers and one for the power. The wiring harness for my headunit has 3 power wires (red, black, and yellow). On my last vehicle, I only hooked up the red and black wires and everything worked just fine. However, when I plugged it in tonight, the headunit got no power at all. I checked the fuses and everything is fine. Does anyone have any suggestions on what wires I need to use from my K5 to power the headunit? I basically need to know which colors to connect from the K5 to my headunit's red, black, and yellow wires.

2. original balzer

original balzer 1/2 ton status

red wire = key on power

yellow wire = constant power key on or off

black wire= ground

also i sugest you run new wires to the speakers because gm used a comon negitive for their speakers witch doesnt work well with aftermarket head units

3. stizkidz

stizkidz 1/2 ton status

Do you know the corresponding colors for the K5's power wires? Thanks.

4. chevydan3

chevydan3 1/2 ton status

I think they are

Red: Green or Gray

Yellow: Yellow

Black: Black

5. stizkidz

stizkidz 1/2 ton status

Can someone who has done this, please give me some pointers... I wired up the harness and there was no power at all. So, I ditched the harness and just hard-wired everything. I turned on the key and all I got was power to the unit for about 10 seconds. I then tried another known working Headunit and the same exact thing happened. I then checked the fuses and they were all fine - not to mention my stock radio worked fine! I found another set of wires that went to the stock radio - 1 red wire and 1 brown wire. Do I need to use these wires? Please help, I am getting very frustrated.

6. cochino12

cochino12 1/2 ton status

You might have a bad ground, sometimes aftermarket radios need the antenna plugged in also

from your new radio
    red = switched 12v
    yellow= constant 12v
    black= ground

Wire it up without the speakers and see what happens. If it stays on then you know you have a bad speaker or speaker wire somewhere.

7. 86chevybanshee

86chevybanshee 1/2 ton status

im my truck, the meat head that had the truck before me hacked the whole truck harness. so what i did with my cd player is took the red wire and plugged it into the ignition spot in the fuse block, then grounded it with the black wire, and the yellow wire i spliced in with the cigarette lighter. it worked for me:confused:

8. tin man

tin man 1/2 ton status

I hope you have your problems fixed by now. If you don't, the fuse block idea is great. It is an easy way to identify switched and nonswitched power. I grounded my deck directly to the chassy via a bolt in the brakes I think. That way I knew the ground was good. One problem that I ran into was a grounded wire running to one of my speakers. The deck would shut down on internal protection. My solution was to run new speaker wires. Like I said before, I hope this advise is coming too late. I know how frustrating It can be. Good luck.:)

9. stizkidz

stizkidz 1/2 ton status

The thing that really gets me is... When I had an S-10 Blazer, I ran into the exact same problem. If I remember correctly, I had done everything up to the point I am at right now (hardwired everything) and nothing worked. I finally ended up replacing the "radio" fuse and suddenly everything worked just fine...