Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

cd player

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chevyalltheway, Jun 22, 2004.

1. chevyalltheway

chevyalltheway Registered Member

what kind of changes/fabbing do i have to do to put a aftermartket cd player in my 86 k-10. i was thinking about installing it in my center console to hide it but i am still kicking around the idea to put it were the stock raidio is. i know there is some fab work involved but how much? dose any one have some pics i could see. i know it would be eaiser if i bought one of those center console with a built in cd/cb holder but i could think up a couple other ways to spend the cash.
    thanks

2. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

I out a pioneer into mine and it just went right in, I didnt have to do anything at all.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If you don't want to hack the dash up, there SHOULD be some available in the stock size that will fit. I know they make them for the Corvettes, as long as the late 70's early 80's vette radios weren't mounted vertically like the earlier ones, that might be an option.

May not be cheap, but would be no work to install, and no destroying the dash and gauge bezel if that matters to you.

4. bouncytruck

bouncytruck 1/2 ton status

I thought about putting a CD player in my center console too('72 K5). I wanted to mount it vertically (like the tuffy stereo consoles) but the guy at Car Toys and the guy at Cruchfield said that the CD player won't work if mounted at more than a 30 degree angle. Car Toys suggested a cassette/Changer controler and mounting a changer someplace else.

5. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

I used a jigsaw and made the opening a large enough rectangle opening. Had to cut both the plastic and metal behind. Didn't come out too pretty however. Could have been more careful when I did it. Wasn't a real bid deal.

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Different application yes, but many computers have the CD (or DVD or both) drive mounted vertically. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I guess that info would be in the stereo's manual, no?

7. bouncytruck

bouncytruck 1/2 ton status

Crutchfield suggested I contact Blaupunkt about a auto CD head unit that can be mounted vertically, they said that none of theirs can be mounted at more than a 45 degree angle. I guess it is a cassette player with CD changer controls... The changers can be mounted vertically or horizontally.

8. backcountry

backcountry 1/2 ton status

9. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

I have done this a few times for me and some friends. What I do is take the plastic dash off and mark it with the cd player cage and cut the plastic with a utility knife (cautiously with several passes) and dremel tool (or you could clean it up with a file) and then put the plastic back on to mark the metal dash behind it, take the plastic back off and use a hacksaw to cut the dash above and below where the knobs were and then bend these two pieces back into the dash. Mount the cage to the plastic and re-install. Looks real clean. If you ever want to put the factory radio back in you can bend the metal dash back to where it was, mount the radio, and use a different uncut plastic piece.

Another option as mentioned before is to buy a 2-shaft cassette player with a cd changer.

10. ZooMad75

ZooMad75 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I went the route of putting it in the stock k-5 console. Take a look at the link below in my sig and look at the pics in my album. Mine was a GM late model style (din and 1/2 I think) that I used some angle iron, drilled two holes in the seat belt pockets (no cup holders on mine) and then bolted to the radio frame with clips that came with the radio. I added one addtional support underneath to keep it from having all the wieght on the plastic of the console.

I don't think the radio itself is sitting at more than a 30 degree angle. It plays cd's all day long with it only skipping if I slam the console lid too hard.

After I added a factory radio delete plate and a dirty towel over my $15 speaker box from walmart, the system itself is only apperant when I crank it up.

The only thing I need to do is get an antenna extension cable to reach up to the winshield so I can get better FM reception.

11. jrsheets

jrsheets Registered Member

I found that my CB fit alot better in the stock location then my new sony head unit. So instead od cutting out the dash, i just slid the cb unit into the dash.

I then made a custom console that put the head unit at a 45 degree angle. I put a tray and 2 speakers into it also. Worked like a dream. Its alot easier to use and get to. Plus it only sites about 9 inches off the floor so it doesn't overpower the interior. Probably one of the coolest things I've designed.

The radio has no problem playing CDs. I don't know about different brands, but mine was only the middle class sony unit with amplifier output signals. I've offroaded with it, everything, no skipping or trouble.

Good luck with it, but i say leave the dash alone and just build a small console. You wouldn't believe how easy it is to wire that way. No cutting your hands up on the dash.

12. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Here's what I did

[​IMG]

Switches are fun!