Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

CD Player

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by wheelnut46, Apr 17, 2002.

1. wheelnut46

wheelnut46 1/2 ton status

2 years ago my wife got me a CD player for the POS Toyota 4 Runner that I used to have. I never installed it because I hated that truck. Well I like the Jimmy but the 8 track player that came in it isnt getting much use so I thought i'd install the CD player in its place. The problem is that the dash has cutouts for knobs and the new stereo doesnt have knobs. Obviously the stereo wont fit. I dont want to hack and cut the dash. Has anybody run into this problem and how did you solve it?

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Had Audio Express hack the dash for me ($25 + 15 for the mouting plate). They did a clean job too. I had a casette deck prior to this though. My new deck is an Alpine CD deck. I have seen people mount them inside of Tuffy consoles. But that is more $. You could probably rig it to hang under the dash somehow, or put it in your factory console (assuming you have one).

3. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

really there are two options

i put in car stereos for a living so i do this crap everyday

1. you can cut out the plastic of the dash bezel and then cut the metal behind the plastic and cage mount the radio in the dash, if you dont use a small trim ring you will see some gap above and below the radio...with the trim ring it looks good.

that is what i did with mine and no complaints there

2. buy an underdash mount for it and secure it somewhere near the factory radio since most likely(if its not a common ground radio) you will use the same harness to wire up the new radio...this will leave the factory in the dash but add to the clutter below the dash

oh by the way the console idea and the shelf it idea have been done before too...but that is a lot of extra work...

any more ?s let me know...if you want i could snap some pics of mine and post em just let me know

Later

4. wheelnut46

wheelnut46 1/2 ton status

Yes, would you please? Thanks. I dont want to have it look like crap. Its the nicest truck I've had in a long time and I dont want to wreck it. Maybe the underdash mount is a good idea too.

5. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

I have a 91 K5 and the radio that came with it didn't have knobs. The previous owner put the cd player in so i don't know about cutting but by the look of the origional radio it didn't need it, just a ring. Maybe you could find a dash bezel in the junkyard for a 91and swap it in.

James

6. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

that wont work because of the metal of the dash behind the bezel...that would still need to be cut...it was either 89 or 90 that they changed the radio style over...

Later

7. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

here is a link to my members gallery...go under audio stuff and check out the radio...these are pics without the trim ring on...if i can find my trim ring ill slap it on and take a pic with it there too...

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun10>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun10</a>

you can also check out my 4 channel and the components i cut into the back panels...in case you need ideas for speaker placement...

let me know if you have any more ?s

Later

8. big d

big d 1/2 ton status

crutchfield sells a custom kit just for blazers/jimmys. comes with cut out stencil and cover piece. real nice. i did mine with a dremel tool. $$$$$ is not to bad, but i dont remember how much. they will provide you with answers to all your questions. if you want any extra pieces, they can provide that to. just request all info on the install that they can provide.

9. Zepplin

Zepplin 1/2 ton status

Keep the 8 track in the dash and replace the center console with one from here www.tuffyproducts.com

You can mount the stereo inside and lock it up. I have one in my 74 and I wouldn't have it any other way. I left my stock radio in the dash as well.

10. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If the trucks in good shape, don't hack the dash. If I were looking for a clean truck, I wouldn't buy one that the dash has been hacked in. Thats my preference, and its varies from other peoples, but it sounds like you have a nice truck you don't want to chop up.

You may not be able to use your radio, but I would imagine there are numerous options aftermarket for radios that fit in the stock location, use adapters for the wiring (no cutting there either, nice) and still have CD Players. I'm not *certain* a CD can even be made to fit through the cutout in the dash, but if it can, there should be aftermarket radios for it. Of course another radio will run you more money, but then again, if you ever decide to sell the truck, you might lose a sale to someone like me if you hack the dash, ESPECIALLY if the truck is clean in the first place.

FWIW, if you say you need a radio for a 1980 Cadillac, it will fit the truck. If the knobs are big, they may hit the bezel, but if the knobs are small, there will be NO interference problems.

Personally, I'd be much more impressed to see a radio that LOOKED like it was supposed to be there, yet modern, instead of a cut up dash/bezel.

11. Nrose07

Nrose07 1/2 ton status

When I put my cd player in I got a new bezel from the local stereo shop. I had to cut the plastic and the metal behind it out to DIN size, then the new bezel went on the front and I installed the "cage" trough it. The bezel is black texured metal that looks exactly like the plastic trim, so my stereo looks factory with the bezel.

12. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

the thing is, the dash doesnt look "hacked up" if you use the trim ring it looks like the radio came that way...in my case, it was more important to have a nice radio/cd player with 3 rca outputs because my tunes are extremely important to me...and trust me, i looked, and there is NO cd player that will fit in the factory dash mount...so this ended up being my next option and i am very happy with the way it turned out

i dont know about your area but around here most people i talk to want an aftermarket radio in their vehicle. i have done probably 50-60 trucks and blazers in this same fashion if the last 6 months...its pretty popular around here

Later

13. dyeager535

You are right. It doesn't look hacked up, it IS hacked up. Not sure exactly what you call destroying an (assumed) flawless factory piece which is no longer being made by GM, or cutting into the steel dash section, but that sounds like "hacked" to me.

Maybe I have too much "collector" blood in me, but I think there are lots of oppurtunities to get creative anymore, like remote changers, etc., that don't require cutting up any components. This is also why they make adapter wiring harnesses, because people can't stand digging into other peoples piss poor "fit something never designed to go there"
    jobs. Not saying you do a bad job, just saying thats why there are alternatives.

I'll make an analogy with sunroofs, and only because I owned a vehicle with one. If the factory didn't put it in, I don't want the vehicle, its that simple. You may be able to find someone to resell the vehicle too, but it won't be me, and in a lot of cases, in the end thats what it comes down to, resale.
    If I want CD tunes, I'll figure out a remote changer, or I'll buy a $15 discman tape adapter, and play CD's through my Cadillac stereo.

14. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

I understand what you are saying totally...in my case a changer wasnt practical. My wires are not cut, I used a Metra wiring harness made for the vehicle, the factory harness is intact. I did bring up the point of resale, though that is not an option for me. Anything I put this much time and effort into building and modifying the way I have is not gonna leave my driveway with someone else behind the wheel. Its paid for and only costs me insurance and gas money(other than modifications I add).

You can keep your discman adapter and your tape hiss. Call me an audiophile but I wanted my true digital sound.

But hey, to each his own, right?

Later

15. dyeager535

Yep. Exactly what I'm saying. It's your own vehicle, you can do with iut what you like, especially if resale is not going to be an option.

If I could *hear* tape hiss over the engine, exhaust, or tire noise, I might worry about it.

16. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

true that...im glad we finally agreed on it

Later