Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

CDR removal revisited

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by 6.2Blazer, Nov 1, 2004.

1. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Okay, so awhile back I noticed quite a bit of oil accumulation inside the intake which was traced back to the CDR (i.e PCV in gasser terms). I was unable to find an aftermarket replacement CDR and unwilling to pay the dealership price so I tried using a regular old valve cover breather.

A regular chrome (bling bling) Mr. Gasket breather fits the existing grommet, but is dribbled oil all over the place (this is the type that has a filter inside the housing and several small holes along the bottom of the canister). It wasn't real bad, but enough to leave a 1" size oil puddle under the truck after sitting for a couple of days.

Attempt number two was a valve cover breather designed to work in conjuction with a PCV valve. This type has a filter inside the housing than with a single 5/8" outlet sticking out the side. Apparently the one small opening just let oil blow out the side and onto the inner fender, making an even bigger mess.

My next plan of attack will be to attach a length of rubber hose to the outlet, and maybe put a few loops in it to slow down the oil???

Any other suggestions besides just buying a new CDR???

2. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

think its like 40 bucks from autozone.

You could try building a diaphram type system, but... I'djust get a CDR.

3. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

The last time I checked at Autozone it was "out of stock" at the warehouse and they didn't have any clue as to when they would be available again.

4. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Okay, so awhile back I noticed quite a bit of oil accumulation inside the intake which was traced back to the CDR (i.e PCV in gasser terms). I was unable to find an aftermarket replacement CDR and unwilling to pay the dealership price so I tried using a regular old valve cover breather.

A regular chrome (bling bling) Mr. Gasket breather fits the existing grommet, but is dribbled oil all over the place (this is the type that has a filter inside the housing and several small holes along the bottom of the canister). It wasn't real bad, but enough to leave a 1" size oil puddle under the truck after sitting for a couple of days.

Attempt number two was a valve cover breather designed to work in conjuction with a PCV valve. This type has a filter inside the housing than with a single 5/8" outlet sticking out the side. Apparently the one small opening just let oil blow out the side and onto the inner fender, making an even bigger mess.

My next plan of attack will be to attach a length of rubber hose to the outlet, and maybe put a few loops in it to slow down the oil???

Any other suggestions besides just buying a new CDR???

[/ QUOTE ]
    Well I don't know how much oil vapors you are getting but a small canister with the valve cover breather at the end of it might work, you will have to have a drain back tube to the cover too to return any excess oil to the engine.
    /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif