Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

CDRom Drive Problem

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by BurbLover, Jan 27, 2005.

1. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

I'm trying to load a program & the CD drive won't read the disk. I kno wthe disk is pokay as I already loaded it on my laptop. A co-worker is haiving this exact problem with him HP desktop as well.

Does anyone know if this is a virus problem or any way to tell the cause? I ran Norton AV with current updates and still won't work.

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

The computer probably needs to be lubricated, the oil on the "bits" gets worn out, so when they combine to form "bytes" they can't line up right anymore to get into their holders; that in turn makes it so they can't fit through the wires anymore to get to the hard drive from the cd-rom. Tip the computer up towards the front and pour about a quart of oil into the vents on the back, that should fix you right up.:thumb:

3. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

Would you recommend a specific brand & weight? Thank you. Also, would it be more effective to fill the tub and soak said desktop in it?

4. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

If you want to clean it first you can put it in the tub and give the insides a good scrubbing with a stiff wire brush.

Synthetic oil will make it run faster due to decreased friction. Oh yeah, if the oil leaks out of the case just seal it up with duct tape, manufacturers don't want you to know that they're servicable so they don't seal them from the factory, they want you to think that you're doing somehting wrong. They just want you to buy a new one when the old one stops working.:D

5. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

Just one more reason I 'll never buy an HP again:grin:

6. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Is bios recognizing the drive? Everything in system profile ok?

Pony up $25 and get a new optical drive

7. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

How old is the computer? Call tech support they might replace it.

-does the cd-rom read other disks?
    -does the cd-rom show up in the My Computer window that shows all the drives
    -does the drive power up (spool up) when the disk is put in (I'm assuming the power works if you can hit the button and the tray slides out, its just not reading).
    -have you done any new hardware or software installs lately that might have changed the drivers?
    -right click the My Computer icon, at the bottom of the list choose Properties, in one of the tabs click Hardware, then the botton that says Device Manager... are any of the items in the list showing any comments? Click on the dvd/cd-roms + and see if the cd-rom is listed there, click on the cd-rom if listed then right click, Properties again, see if it says item is functioning properly, then click trouble shoot.

If all else fells pop the case open check the cables, could have one gotten hot and burnt or cracked a wire somewhere, replace the cable if you have a replacement, if all that fells and tech support/warrenty wont replace it I'd would suggest one of these...
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=27-151-051&depa=1

8. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

Well, I stopped to Bets Buy to see if it was under my service plan still. When I bought 2 complete HP systems two years ago, I bought 1 extended service plan, to be used on whichevere syetem needed repair first. Well, I still had 1 year left so I took it in. Should be 2-3 days, but they will replace anything not working under extended warranty.

Hoppefully this will get it fixed. Lucky for me I have a laptop as well:)