Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

CDRs?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by laketex, Dec 28, 2000.

1. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

I've got a problem with my CDRs, some of them my head unit will play and some of them, it wont. Even on my home unit, it will select which songs it plays. I have a truck Rockford RFX8120 and home Pioneer PD-F908 100 disc changer. I record the same every time. The only difference is discs. I usually get whatever's on sale. I got 50 at Best Buy for $8 last time, but they dont seem to record as well. Is there really a difference in quality or readability of CDRs. I know they sell audio CDRs for about $3 a piece, are they really better?

I also heard around the bush that someone's coming out with DVD-Rs. True? Where, when and how much????

Thanks.

Bryan

[​IMG]
    Durant, Ok

2. 1990Blazer

1990Blazer Registered Member

The audio specific cdr's are a lot better, personally I dont believe the hype about it being exactly the same cd. I've had normal data cds that lost their quality after a month or so and became all distorted. I usually buy 10 packs of Memorex recordable music cdr's. 80 minutes so i can get a few more songs on there. I havent had any problems so far with them, they play in any cd players. My car, home, there cool. Hope this helps you. OOO and the good news is i pay around $15 for the 10 pack so it wont set you back too much more.

3. undertow

undertow Registered Member

CDR audio technology is very sesitive. 2 factors: the quality of the drive burning the CD. And the quality of the CD being burned. Perosnally, I think Plextor makes the best CDR/RW drives on the market. Also, understand that unless you have a realnice setup, most burners compress and decomress the signal before it ends up at the laser (on top of the compression/decpression that some CDR software packages use) - so you may be loosing quality nd/or compatibility there too.

Anyhow, CDs are kinda tricky. You have check for a couple things. Check the color of the media (the side that is burned, not the top). There are a few flavors: Blue, Blue/Green, silver and gold. The best CDs are ussually on gold or silver. Then check what speed they support (some of the new ones claim they support 12x audio burns... i doubt that). I always burn ALL my music at 1X to ensure a clean burn. Of course, be sure the CD supports multi track audio burns.

And lastly, start shopping online. Even with shipping, you can find some great deals out there.

As far as the DVDRs, the first one I saw (MaximumPC, last month) was a Panasonic 4gig burner. $450.

[​IMG]

4. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

I have an HP CD writer plus 8000 series and I'll stick with that for a while. I will however try audio CDRs and burning at 1x. I generally go at 4x now. Thanks for the input fellas!

The DVD writers are a whole new unit? Can't do it on a CD writer?

[​IMG]
    Durant, Ok

5. CrazeeBush

CrazeeBush 1/2 ton status

I've only made 1 beer coaster out of well over 100 CD's burned. I use PNY 80min 12x CDRs and I have a 4x HP CDR Drive. I use PNY b/c they are a known name in menory and storage so it just seems natural that they make good media. The CD's have a blue tint to them. They last fairly long, I think the CDRs are more sensitive to scratches and what not though.. Just my $.02

-JoSH
    crazeebush@aol.com
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://josh.coloradok5.com>http://josh.coloradok5.com</A>

6. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

Hey Lake, as far as on my end of it. I have posed this question to ALL of my Reps(rockford,eclipse,alpine,clarion,kenwood) and basically they have all said that they cannot guaranty that a burned cd will play for all of the reasons that Undertow said. Sorry

[​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://dblazer.coloradok5.com>http://dblazer.coloradok5.com</A>

7. undertow

undertow Registered Member

yeah, unless you have a CDR which not only supports digital audio, and your software doesn't use any compress/decompress algorythems, you risk quality and compatibility issues. And if you are doing cd to cd copies, then not only do both drives need to support digital audio but they have to be connected to your sound card (which also needs digital support) properly to insure a real digital burn.

[​IMG]

8. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Imation CDR's are the only ones I've had trouble with for Audio. They are the cheap ones, and I usually just burn programs and get a better quality CDR for music.

89 K5 Silverado
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://mudfrog.coloradok5.com>http://mudfrog.coloradok5.com</A>

9. Confederate9

Confederate9 1/2 ton status

i have used a couple type of different cdr, i have used, memorex, nahsua, and the no name brand.
    my memorex i got from comp usa, and they worked about 75% of the time
    the no name cramp i got from comp usa [the ones w/ no writing on them] and the worked like 25% of the time, i was very mad
    but then i got some nashua ones from staples and they worked 95$ of the time, and never warp.
    they are like 30 for 50 but is wortth it. im going to get some this weekend.
    anyone else know the names of high qualitty cdrs?

Confederate's w/ K5's!
    '85 K5: BIG BAD AND MEAN
    K5: Because size DOES matter

10. Confederate9

Confederate9 1/2 ton status

oh yeah i just bought some office depot brand tonite
    they werent very expensive, and ive burned 4 cds so far on them and the work great!!!

Confederate's w/ K5's!
    '85 K5: BIG BAD AND MEAN
    K5: Because size DOES matter

11. istallion88k5

istallion88k5 1/2 ton status

I always stick with Verbatim blue backed cdrs, can get em at Sams fairly cheap and I have a 100% sucess with them for a few years now. And they seem to be the most tolerant of scratches etc I have ever seen, and I have been burning cdrs since I bought my first 1x scsi cdr for about 1500 sad huh.

If it aint a Chevy don't raise it up!

12. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

hey I got the sams ones also and am having great luck with them. you get 50 for 40 bucks, that's 80 cents a cd...I can live with that. Thanks for all the replies guys. Also My RF deck has started to skip on even regular cds, guess it's time for a good cleaning. The home pioneer changer handles them well.

[​IMG]
    Durant, Ok