Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Celebs and Drugs

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Inu-Hanyou1776, Dec 4, 2005.

1. Inu-Hanyou1776

Inu-Hanyou1776 1/2 ton status

Been watching a CMT special on Johnny Cash and it's gotten me to wondering out of the music world which recent music celebrities died recently (1990-present) from drugs/alcohol.

Anyway, the ones that I have learned about are only ones my parents have told me about because I really don't follow music gossip that much but here's the few I know about:

1. Elvis Presley - Died from overdosing on prescription drugs in August 1977.

2. John Bonham, Led Zeppelin - Died in October 1980 from alcohol poisoning (drank way too much in one night). Led Zeppelin broke up a month later.

3. Jimi Hendrix, The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Died in 1970 after drowining in his own vomit caused again from drinking too much in one sitting.

4. Janis Joplin - Died in 1970 after OD'ing on heroin.

5. Jim Morrison, The Doors - Died in 1971 after overdosing.

Any music celebs any of you know of who keeled over in the 1990's due to similar reasons? I've not heard of any, but then again I've probably been living under a rock when it comes to this stuff.

2. dodgedude99

dodgedude99 1/2 ton status

Phil Anselmo from Pantera, SuperJoint Ritual, Down,etc, OD'ed on heroin, but was brought back to life.

3. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

thought elvis died of non perscription type.... i dunno though....
    Grant

4. Inu-Hanyou1776

You mean they got him to the hospital in time right, and were able to get his heart restarted quick enough?

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Kurt Cobain blew his own head off while high as a kite on Heroin.

When you are rich and famous, drugs are plentiful and easy.

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Shannon Hoon from blind Melon...early 90's heroin OD

Dude from Alice in Chains, same deal, late 90's.

Steve Clarke from Def Leppard, drank himself to death mid 90's.

Kurt Cobain OD'd at least once, but a 12 guage was how he ended

There's plenty more, those are just off the top of my head.

Rene

7. tRustyK5

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Don't need too be rich and famous for drugs too be plentiful and easy. Been there, done more then my fare share, happy too be done with that part of my life.

9. Inu-Hanyou1776

Def Leppard and Alice in Chains both breakup for good when those members died?

10. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Def Leppard is still together. They actually lost 2 members to drugs & alcohol; Phil Collen (current lead guitarist) replaced Pete-somebody (who OD'd) about midway through recording of "Pyromania". He only played the solos on that album.

AIC is no more. Layne Staley OD'd on (probably) heroin in 2002 I believe - he wasn't found for a week because he had alienated himself from everyone in his life with his drug abuse. Most of the "Dirt" album is about his struggles with addiction; listen to it closely sometime... Jerry Cantrell has gone solo, dunno what the rest of the guys are doing. Damn shame...

The original singer from Drowning Pool OD'd on their tour bus after a show in either '02 or '03.

11. Inu-Hanyou1776

I'm surprised then to not hear yet of any music people dying from meth, as much of a runaway drug as its become the last few years. Then again, meth may be so powerful that any musician who takes it must not be able to play worth a darn after they load up on it.

We've probably been there before, the reason why most of these guys get started on this stuff stems from maybe three things:

1. Stress from doing concert tours.
    2. Stage fright.
    3. Inability to handle the fame.

Johnny Cash got started on them from the stress of doing concerts. John Bonham meanwhile suffered from stage fright really bad, and as a result he was notorious for starting off concerts totally drunk and not being completely sober until the concert had ended. Think for Elvis at times it was a combination of all three.

12. tRustyK5

Ken Hillary - Died 1992 - Suicide ( Rock ) Was a member of Quiet Riot .

Charlie Ondras - Died 6-?-1992 - Heroin overdose ( Rock ) Born 1965 - Drummer for Unsane.

Jeff Ward - Died 3-19-1993 - Suicide by carbon monoxide poisoning ( Rock ) Born 11-28-1962 - Drummer for Ministry, Lard ("Bozo Skeleton" and "Mate Spawn And Die"), Revolting Cocks, Low Pop Suicide ("Imagine My Love" and "Gimme Gimme") and Nine Inch Nails .

River Phoenix - Died 10-31-1993 - Drug overdose ( Rock ) Born 1970 - Was a guitarist for Aleka's Attic .

Doug Hopkins (Douglas Hopkins) - Died 12-5-1993 - Shot himself ( Rock ) Born 4-11-1961 - Was a guitarist for The Gin Blossoms

Kurt Cobain (Kurt Donald Cobain) - Died 4-5-1994 - Shot himself ( Grunge ) Born 2-20-1967 in Hoquiam, Seattle, U.S. - Was the lead singer and guitarist for Nirvana

Kristen Pfaff - Died 6-16-1994 - Heroin overdose ( Punk ) Born 5-26-1967 - Was the bass player for Janitor Joe (They did,"Big Metal Birds" and "Slur") and Hole

Dwayne Goettel (Dwayne Rudolph Goettel) - Died 8-23-1995 - Heroin overdose ( Industrial - Punk ) Born 2-1-1964 - Was the keyboardist for Skinny Puppy

Shannon Hoon (Richard Shannon Hoon)- Died 10-21-1995 - Cocaine overdose ( Rock ) Born 9-26-1967 - Was the singer for Blind Melon

Brad Nowell - Died 5-25-1996 - Heroin overdose ( Rock ) Born 2-22-1968 - Was a member of Sublime .

Jonathan Melvoin (Jonathan David Melvoin)- Died 7-11-1996 - Heroin overdose ( Rock ) Born 12-6-1961 in Los Angeles, Calif., U.S. - Was a keyboardist for The Dickies and The Smashing Pumpkins .

this one is just embarrassing:

Gunther Dietz - Died 8 or 9-?-1997 ( Heavy Metal ) He dove off the stage during a concert, the crowd moved away and he smashed onto the concrete floor.

Michael Hutchence - Died 11-22-1997 - Hung himself ( New Wave ) Born 1-22-1960 - Was the lead singer for Inxs (They did,"What You Need" and "New Sensation").

Layne Staley - Found dead 4-19-2002, he died 4-5-2002 - Fatal mix of heroin and cocaine ( Rock ) Born 8-22-1967 in Kirkland, WA, U.S. - Singer and guitarist - Was a member of Alice In Chains (They did,"Heaven Beside You" and "Rooster") and Mad Season (They did,"Wake Up" and "River of Deceit").

Rene

13. tRustyK5

Couple of interviews I saw on the reasons for the drugs...boredom and availability. You sit on the bus or plane for hours, get into town, and wait some more until things get set up, do the show and then party. They spend a fair amount of time doing nothing much...

Most parents will tell you that kids that have nothing to do are the ones getting into trouble. Boredom is brutal no matter who you are. Combine boredom with a boatload of cash and being readily available and I'd be more surprised if there were any 'bands' that were clean and sober.

Rene

14. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

no one immune....

A lot of country artists have had drug problems--not as many have OD'd as rock stars though..Waylon Jennings used coke to the tune of 1500 dollars worth a day back in the late 70's..complications from diabetes was his fate at the age of 64 a few years ago...

Hank Williams Jr. also had battles with alcohol and cocaine..fell off a mountain in 1973,and was nearly killed,while drunk and stoned..thats why the beard and sunglasses all the time,his face was nearly torn off upon impact when he landed at the bottom of the cliff..

Faron Young committed suicide with a revolver,after drinking heavily,and becoming despondent over his medical condition..

Glen Campbell had numerous problems with cocaine and alcohol--Tanya Tucker did too..they both nearly killed themselves many times,while going on binges that lasted for days..

Remember "Lulu Roman" from Hee Haw?-the fat lady who was one of the "Culhaines"??--she's a recovered heroin addict!--one of the few that WON the battle of its addiction..

And we all know what Willie smokes... :wink1:

Latest tradgety in country is Mindy Mcready...she's only about 30 ,but has tried to commit suicide at least 3 times in recent months..she was addicted to oxycontin and other prescription drugs..and is now pregnant with her estranged boyfriends child--I think she's in jail right now..sad,she was talented,and very attractive..I met her once at Fan Fair in Nashville in 1995..she had a few #1 songs..

As for rock,I think you guys covered them all--except maybe Randy Roads,who crashed his plane into Ozzy Ozbourne's tour bus..(I think--I didn't follow rock that closely after 1988 or so--only what little I remember from an MTV special that had a story on that incident)..I'm sure drugs were involved there too.. :rolleyes: :crazy:

15. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

seems Heroin is the drug of choice for allot of very talented people, quite sad actually

16. tRustyK5

Pete Willis was chucked from Def Leppard for alcoholism and replaced with Phil Collen. Aside from Rick allen losing an arm in a car crash I'm pretty sure only Steve Clark was the only one to die.

Viv Cambell (ex whitesnake) replaced Steve Clark...

Source... http://www.vh1.com/artists/az/def_leppard/bio.jhtml

We just saw Def Leppard in august, pretty decent show for a bunch of old farts and sure brought back some memories!!

Rene

17. Inu-Hanyou1776

Besides John Bonham, I wonder if what stuff Pagey, Plant and Jones did at times during Zeppelin's heydey? I know for a fact that Plant drank some too because one time during Zeppelin's first American tour in January '69, Plant and Bonham shared some whiskey bottles during a long ride from Portland to Seattle (they got snowed in and had to ride 200+ miles from Portland to Seattle in the snow to get on another flight to L.A.).

I'm betting too that Plant probably binged for a few days in '76 after his firstborn son died.

18. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

During the 60's??

I think during the Psycadelic 60's blotter acid was probably used as much as anything else was..not usually fatal though,but it can cause permanent insanity...I know the Beatles,Stones,Led Zeppelin,and many other bands used acid ..Iron Butterfly,Black Sabbath,Emerson,Lake,and Palmer,The Moody Blues..when you stop and think about it,its amazing how many SURVIVED doing all that dope..were not talking small stuff..Acid,Cocaine,Heroin,Speed,all are "big leauge" drugs..not exactly harmless!.. :screwy: :crazy:

19. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

As someone with years of experence with Meth, I can tell you that it isn't as bad as Cocaine or Heroin. Meth is in the spot light right now, and anytime a drug gets in the spot light, the government proppaganda blows it up too be alot worse then it really is. Don't get me wrong, alot of people go way over board on it, but Cocaine and Heroin are by far more worse. You can become physically addicted to the Cocaine and Heroin, but not to Meth. You may think you need it, but you're body does not become dependent on Meth, unlike the Cocaine and Heroin.

20. RubberFloorMat

RubberFloorMat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

i call bull****.

ive seen what happens to a methhead breaking out of the Dt's and ****, if that isnt a physical addiction, i dont know what is.

as far as im concerned, anything past weed will kill you if you do it enough.