Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

celeron, duron, or athlon ?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by R72K5, Jan 30, 2003.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

i literally smashed by tower last night tiredof problems withit, three years old was 650mghz athlon, gateway motherboard, 9 gig drive, going to buy an assembled tower, and see that there are three types of processors, athlon like i had, or duron, and celeron, whats good and whats not as good ?

thanks for anything

2. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

You missed Pentium class procs. Celeron is a detuned Pentium like the Duron is a detuned Athlon.

I like AMD - go for something like an XP 2.0GHz or better /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

3. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

go with any of the amd xp chips /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif and for the love of god do NOT go with celeron please they are total junk /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

4. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

Same.... Athlon XP processors are great!
    Celeron and Durons are good for business use where cost is a major role and the most you will be doing is word processing and the occasional net surfing. Anything other than that and you might as well drop the extra cash for the Athlon you will be much more pleased with it.
    My stuff

Depending on what your case was, that could have been a good start system for an upgrade /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

5. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

Addition...
    If you are buying a system new, look for Athlon XP processors, DDR ram at LEAST 256MB, a good video card (perferably not one built on to the motherboard, most new complete systems everything is integraded to save $$$), also look at the software packages that come with it, Windows 2000 or XP PRO are good, XP Home edition is OK too.
    Usually when buying a new setup you can pickup a new monitor and printer with the system. I know dell has a flat panel monitor and a good tower for like $700 but its a Pentium?
    click on the Dimension 2350 Desktop (far right) - customize it link and add the
    -256MB DDR-SDRAM [add $50.00] Dell Recommended
    -40GB Ultra ATA/100 7200RPM Hard Drive [add $30.00]
    If I was buying a package this would be it and that a flat panel monitor included! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

basically im looking for best deal on a totally assembled ready to run tower, ive been looking around on pricewatch.com there are quite a few choices there and some good deals on amd xp and decent ram and 20 gig drive towers, i think for my budget ill have to go with 1700 processor but thats way over twice as fast as the toweri smashed the other night,so... i cant complain,

so avoid integrated card motherboards, right? i like the ideaof having sound and video cards like the other tower had, much better i think, notmany choices of towers with non integrated board..

thanks !!

R

7. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    so avoid integrated card motherboards, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not necessarily. Depends on your needs and if it fits the budget better.