Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

cell phone help

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by beater_k20, Apr 11, 2006.

1. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

so on Sunday, my cell phone decided to go for a little swim in a bucket of antifreeze while i was working on my C1500. i immediately pulled the battery off, and dried it out the best i could. i then took it to work with me on Monday and left it sit on the dash of my truck. my thoughts, moisture + a little heat = dry. it worked great for about 3 hours yesterday, and then the display went haywire. i went down to Verizon, to see about getting a new phone. apparently we didnt put insurance on it :doah: . my options were to either "deal with it" or to buy a new phone. a comparable model that they carry is around $190, which is just a little too rich for my blood at this point. i currently have a Samsung a670, and i love it. anybody know of any places (besides Ebay, dont like the "disclaimers" all over the auctions) where i might be able to buy an a670 for a reasonable price? or maybe something similar.

what are you guys carrying for phones? i've got to have something durable, as its on me nearly 24 hours a day.

2. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

if you are under th warranty still, (not a bought warranty) JUST GO TO A DIFFERNET STORE AND DONT TELL THEM WAHT HAPPENED. JUST SAY IT STOPPed working. thats what i did when my wife dropped mine in the dogs dish.

good luck

3. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

nope, no warranty will cover it, and i've had the thing for a year and a half. i'll be eligible for their "new every two" program to get a new phone, free, in December.

4. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

yup. too long. i think mine was just under a year. the kid asked what happened and i said i woke up and the screen was dead.

good luck

5. protechk5

protechk5 1/2 ton status

They dont have to follow that, they can give you a new phone earlier if they want to. It might not be completly free but they are like a car dealership, you can bargin with them. Go in and tell them you want a new phone now and tell them it would be cheaper to sign a new service plan through someone else and drop verizon in dec.

6. protechk5

protechk5 1/2 ton status

Ohh and on the back on the battery, there is a small white dot with pink ink spots on it, when it gets wet it will turn the whole dot pink. So when you take it in, thats the first thing they check, if they see that its all pink, they hand it right back to you.

7. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

im really happy with Verizon's service, and its my fault that we didnt put insurance on the phone. i had it on my last one and didnt need it. they do cover them if they're dropped into liquid, my sister dropped her a670 in the toilet, they replaced it no questions asked.

as for the dot behind the battery, mine is currently white with purple x's on it. did i really get it out of the antifreeze before that thing got wet? :eek1: i didnt realize i was that fast.

8. protechk5

protechk5 1/2 ton status

Yeha they are x's, haha you must had done it fast.

9. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

odd, because i was sitting on the core support, messing with the power steering pump when i dropped it. it landed on the lower radiator shroud, i moved to grab it, and it fell, bouncing off of the swaybar, landing in the bucket of coolant that was completely under the core support. at first i didnt realize that it fell into the coolant, but when i didnt see it, i knew exactly where it went.

10. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

I have had really good luck with www.cellularchoices.net they are a pain to deal with as you will have to speak to someone in Bombay, but the prices can't be beat. I just got a smoking deal on a Sony W600i that everyone else wanted $200-$400 for with a two year contract and I got it for free.

[​IMG]

11. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

not interested in changing services, just looking for a cheap phone.

12. sarasotausmc

sarasotausmc 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Don't know about your provider, but Sprint sells refurbished phones. I'm on my second one already, but they are about 1/2 price of the new phones.

13. gmcman7202

gmcman7202 1/2 ton status

buy one off ebay and have it activated under your #. i did this with sprint. i got 4 phones for $75, they all were in decient shape. it is possible to take a sprint phone and activate it, just need to unlock it, a little tricky to do, but can be done. just make sure that the ESN # is clear before you buy it or else it cant be activated, that is if you buy same provider, which is the easiest way. check to make sure that the ebay phone doesnt reset the upgrade counter with your company, i have heard this is true for sprint, but i did not see this happen with my phone.

14. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

If you bitch enough they will give you the two year thing early.

15. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

i've got a friend who works for Verizon, but she's out of town for a few days. just trying to get some ideas in the meantime, then i'll have her check into it.

16. MTChevy

MTChevy 3/4 ton status Premium Member

how come i dont have any of these x's on my battery?

17. MTChevy

MTChevy 3/4 ton status Premium Member

nevermind...i just looked at the phone... its on the phone itself

18. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

You don't have to change services, check that site, you can just upgrade phones too. They have all the carriers, I just wanted to stick with cingular.

19. protechk5

protechk5 1/2 ton status

Ive know you already said you didnt want to buy one on ebay but, Ive bought 2 phones on there for verizon, both used but work great. Both times I asked for the Esn number to check and make sure it wasnt stolen before buying them. Yeah I have my phone everywhere I go and my phones will hardly last a year.

20. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Go to a pawn shop and buy one from them...