Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cell phones

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, Nov 29, 2006.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

My brother cells Sell phones. (:D)

I don't understand the hype. I have a Blackberry that does all kinds of fancy crap (although it doesn't play MP3's, which is a bummer).
    I can understand wanting lots of functions without having a huge device. But I think that's all I understand, wanting functions, features that you can do things with. But there's an actual market for cases! Selling points are the looks of the device.
    My brother came home from overseas with a phone that was ridiculously small and did all kinds of cool stuff. He gave it away after a month because it was so hard to use such a tiny phone.

My new Blackberry with smaller keys is a pain in the arse. The keyboard on my old one was fine, it looks like they just changed it to change the look, to slenderize the unit. But I guess I appreciate holding a thinner device to my head than a calculator.

Am I just not on that side of the fence?
    Getting a phone for my wife, we just got whatever came free with the plan.
    I get mine from work, but if I didn't, I'd want email and phone combined, probably on a blackberry.

I don't get why people get so amped about phones. But it seems that cell phones are fashion accessories.

There's no real point to this thread. I guess I'm getting old.

2. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

I always thought ringtones were a waste. Who the f*ck is buying ringtones for $1,$2,$3 a pop, and they only last 2-3months.

I read this morning, ringtones are now a $6.8 BILLION/year industry!!!!! :yikes: :yikes:
    WTF, who's buying these things??!?!?!?!?!?!?? :dunno: :dunno:

Last edited: Nov 29, 2006
  3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I hate cell phones...

I think the cell phone has ruined traffic safety--and just about any activity where you'd prefer silence,like at church,the movies,etc....the world will never again be a safe place to drive since their arrival..and they make having an uninterupted conversation with anyone who owns one impossible--every time I try,their goddam cell phone rings!:mad: ..now anyone can harass someone anywhere,anytime!..who says progress is good?..

I liked it better when phones had cords..only time I'd want a cell phone is to call 911 when I need assistance,other than that I get along just fine without one..I think they are status symbols more than anything..and how do they pay for all that time spent yapping??..they must have money to burn..

As for "ringtones",my friend has the best one I've heard yet..instead of ringing,his phone yells out BLAH-BLAH-BLAH-BLAH!!..:bow:
    I think its quite accurate..:surepal:

4. SLOK5

SLOK5 1/2 ton status

X2, And I think vehicles are the most cause that have ruined traffic.....Never had these kinds of issues on my horse !

5. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

I agree, they just updated the os on the 7100i Blackberry so it can do ringtones and all the people on the board were talking all about it, I couldnt even find one id want for my phone, let alone pay for one. And most the time you hear them go off they sound like crap anyways.

6. 73k5blazer

Well, as a mobile employee, my cell phone is invaluable. It's also a Palm phone, and I can us it as a modem for my computer (gets 70-80kbps, better than dialup!).
    Not knowing where your going to be from week to week, what customer you might be at doing work, what state you'll be in, the cell phone is perfect.

I've a hands free for the car, but I don't like to talk much in the car, that's my time. I don't care for ringtones, cameras, video, that's a waste, IMO, but apperently, I'm in the minority. I can't even have a phone with a camera, most customers I go to won't allow any cameras on site (Automotive, Aerospace engineering facilities),so the phone would be confiscated at the front desk and given back to you when you leave.

Now, why kids going to middle & high school have to have one, that's beyond me, Like new yorkin, I guess I'm just gettin' old.

7. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

8. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

I Pretty well make fun of everyone I see running around with a Razor phone... I tried my friend's once and it was the most flimsy, akward piece of crap I've ever put on my face. I do like having a good looking phone with a lot of features, but if it's not good for making calls, what good is it?

9. Emmettology 101

I agree. Last phone I bought was the Samung A950. Not fond of the looks at all and dont need the mp3 player. But it seemed to perform the best and feel the best for what I ahd to choose from. The Razr felt like a cheap piece of plastic. Very flimsy.... I miss the old Motorola Digital Startacs... Still have mine. That was the best phone Motorola ever made...

10. 73k5blazer

I HATE the treos. I don't like it's keyboard, (my phone has a detachable roll-up keyboard), and the biggest problem, they don't do analog, so half the country is out of reach.

I've got a Samsung i330

11. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

d00d, I was in love with my a950! Then I lost it in a cow pasture at work and it was dark and cold and the phone was on vibrate... Best phone I've ever had... Then I found out I couldn't buy it anymore, so I got it's replacement, the a830 I think, and it looks cooler, but it feels really cheap to me :mad:

12. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

I like my Treo 650. It had been reliable and does a bunch of stuff. My Blackberry was more intuitive but the Treo has so many more capabilities.

13. Emmettology 101

Theres a cow out there running up your bill! ;) :haha:

The 950 is a good phone. Its very durable and I get pretty good reception. Just not fond of the looks and dont need the mp3 player and external speakers... Wanna buy it? ;) Is your phone all black with the mp3 butting on the front? Sounds like the a930. My friend has that phone and it is nice. But I agree, it's cheap feeling also.

So the Treo's dont do analog? I get tons and tons(and tons) of dropped calls in my area. So that would probably make it worse.. DOH!

14. SLOK5

SLOK5 1/2 ton status

Thats ok ..... he has plenty of MOOla :D

15. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

My daughter has a phone and it's more for my piece of mind (she loves having one though and wishes she had another LG again with all the bells and wissles). We are both using Motorola V60's phones nothing special.... Just a phone... I like the idea of a PDA phone. Anyone have one that they liked? Why didn't you like it? I might start looking for one that I can get flashed to Verizon.... Let me know what you have had and have....

I still have a "slim brick" in my closet.... I remember my old brick getting knocked off a 2 story building went down, picked it up, and made a call.... wish they still made phones that could hold up....

16. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

i've got a razr now, but i miss my a670.

17. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I agree, the Startac was the best phone I ever had. I have 3 of them somewhere, but I can't find batteries for them, and now I can't give up my blackberry anyway. I don't want to go back to carrying two devices, either.

If my blackberry had an MP3 player and Camera, it would be perfect. Although, when I'm listening to MP3's on the move, I often want to be left alone, so I guess it wouldn't be that great to have them played from the phone.

Paying for ringtones... 9 times out of 10 my phone is on vibrate anyway. I usually wanna smack people that have a phone that rings audibly, but I think that's inherent to my line of work...

18. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

No one has mentioned the "walkie-talkie" function.................that is a big pet peeve of mine!!! :mad:

19. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I guess i must be older. I don't see any reason to own a cell phone at all. I have managed to live my whole life without being leashed to a phone. I really dont understand why anyone would want to be. Jees The last time i tried to use a cell i was out hunting. It was one of those phones with a camera and a fancy TV screen and doo dads, it even played music. I was pushing buttons trying to hook up and call my wife from the top of a mountain. never did get a hold of my wife......... I Ended up sending pics of my buddy's bird dog's ugly buttt all over the internet.......... My Space will never be the same.

Stupid Phones

ustis.gif

20. Ruthven13

Ruthven13 1/2 ton status

I have had my RAZR for almost a year now and I love it. I think it is the most comfortable phone I have ever tried. And I like the fact that it is much thinner than most other phones so it doesn't get caught on crap as I am getting out of my machine. They are apparently quite durable too, despite the popular belief. Last week mine got run over by a Toyota Tacoma and it still works fine... The screen didn't even break. Battery and cover came off, aluminum was scratched and the case torn, but the fone was fine! :D