Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

cell phones???

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by CaptCrunch, Feb 22, 2002.

1. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Ok guys and gals... unfortunetly I'm being forced into modern times and need to pick up a cell phone. Any recomendations on a provider like voicestream, sprint, verizion, etc??? I'm clueless. Thanks

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch</a>

2. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

You can have mine...It suck's and I hate it. Never work's when I want it too!!

Eric
    from Freekmont,CA.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.community.webshots.com/user/vwryda>I'm Discombobulated </a>

3. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

Not sprint, voicestream I know nothing about, I use cingular, it's ok, do have lots of complaints, as far as an actual phone, you'd be better off with a motorola than one of the nokia POS's. Every nokia I've had has had problems. Guys here swear by the motorola phones. They use Cellular one service..

Like em big and topless
    You call THAT...a 4x4....LMAO?

4. StoneyK5

StoneyK5 1/2 ton status

There were 2 posts about cell phones back on 2/20, just a couple pages back from here that may help. One is "Sprint cellular phone" by 4x4k20, and "Hey Grim" by me. I have been with ATT for over 7 years and just want a newer, smaller phone, lottsa minutes, free long distance...but can't decide yet.

83K5 Silverado
    What was that bump?
    I want people to know why I look this way.
    I've traveled a long way and
    some of the roads weren't paved.

5. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Depends on your area, and your travel amount and locations. I travel mostly west coast now, but used to travel all over the country to include Puerto Rico, and AT&amp;T has proven to me to be the most reliable and consistent service. I had Cellular One when I lived in PA and it sucked for the most part. AT&amp;T isn't perfect, but that's the technology, still not up to the standards we as picky American's want [​IMG]. Best thing about them is you can get rate plans for country-wide coverage for a good price..............for example, I have 1000 anytime minutes for $80 a month. Used to be 1500 minutes for $120 but my travel has cut back a lot so I downgraded. Which is also a nice thing with AT&amp;T, they let you change programs with no cost or hassle.

ONLY thing that pisses me off in general is the phone selection. I would love to have that flip phone that Nextel uses, but it's Nextel-specific. AT&amp;T has great Nokia phones but a limited selection in general.

ONE TON</font color=blue> <font color=green>TPI'd</font color=green><font color=red> BEAST<font color=red>

6. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I had AT&amp;T years and years ago, and never had trouble with the service, but always seemed to be paying alot more than I calculated. FUnny, that happens right now with my home phone service...

I have a phone through work that's Verizon service. So far, There have only been about 3 places I couldn't get service, that's across New York, New Jersey, all of Long Island, Pennsylvania, and Connecticut. Pretty darn good service if you ask me. I never see a bill though, so I don't know if it's a good price or not.

Ratch
    CK5 album
    Your ad here.

7. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

We used to have a Sprint phone and it sucked. No signal all the time, and varoius other problems. Also couldn't ever hear people. Have Voicestream now and its working real well, but I think AT&amp;T is the way to go. We just got Voicestream because I will be moving to Lubbock to go to Tx. Tech next year, and AT&amp;T doesn't have service there.

90K5

8. Gandolf

Gandolf 1/2 ton status

Hey Mikey, I've had cell service for 7 years, and here's my advice. Do your homework. Find out who has the best and most reliable coverage in your area. Then, when you sign up, make sure you buy the best phone (the clearest one with the least dropped calls and complaints). DO NOT get the free or a cheap phone. If you do, you will hate your service.

I use Verizon Wireless service and have nationwide coverage (originally GTE until Verizon bought them out). The phone set I use is the Motorola model 7868 StarTac. This is a great phone and works good in combination with Verizon service. I get very clear calls and I very rarely get a call dropped. The exception to this is when I call another cell phone who is on another service with a cheap phone. I am so confident with this cellular service and phone combination, that I use my cell phone as my primary phone for business. It's the only number I give my clients, and they love the fact that they can always reach me if they have a question (it's slightly inconvienent sometimes, but because I make myself available like this, I've knocked off lots of my business competition).

I've also used this phone when traveling, with equally good results in the following cities or areas: Las Vegas, Lake Tahoe, Reno, Carson City, Monterey, LA, San Diego, Seattle, Portland, Chicago, Indianapolis, Miami, Daytona Beach, Memphis, Denver, Phoenix, and St. Louis. I know you are in the Minneapolis area and I've used it there too, including Duluth, Lake Superior, Detroit Lakes, and the freeways inbetween. Of all the areas mentioned above, Detroit Lakes was the worst area, but only because it was an analog only area. The phone worked OK, but analog only areas drain the battery very quickly when on standby. This is not a problem if you carry spare batteries and use the charger frequently.

I think the most important thing is getting a good phone. My sister has Verizon service but originally got the free phone. She hated Verizon service. She recently lost her phone, so when she got a new one, she took my advice and got a good, quality phone. Now she loves Verizon.

Those times a while back when you and I talked, I was on my cell phone. If you remember, they were very clear calls. So take the time to research your service providers and the phones they offer. The extra time spent is worth it in the long run. That's my $ 0.02

'89 K5 Silverado..."You can’t have a real adventure, unless the outcome is truly uncertain".

9. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

yea I second Gandolf on this...

<font color=blue> Jeff - may the force be with you</font color=blue>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Jeffs-Stuff>link to k5's</a>

10. Greenblazer-AZ

Greenblazer-AZ 1/2 ton status

If you want to get some info from a lot of different people try a taxi or sedan service and find out what the drivers use, and like. If there is a taxi stand near a bar, hotel, or airport where a lot of drivers line up waiting for runs go ask them. They go all over the place and usually know where all the dead spots are and which cel services are better, some of them rely on cel phones for their income. I personally use Cricket because it's super cheap, and I haven't left town for a while.

If you knew the truth, you too would be against marijuana prohibition!
    Blue '74Blazer Topless W/ 35 BFG Muds1" Body Lift W/ Energy Susp. Bushings

11. Gandolf

Gandolf 1/2 ton status

Thanks, amigo!

'89 K5 Silverado..."You can’t have a real adventure, unless the outcome is truly uncertain".

12. 4x4_76

4x4_76 1/2 ton status

What's wrong with Nokia[​IMG]?Yeah,ok,when I bought mine,the display went out in about month or two.Warranty replaced it,and no problems so far.Well,I bought new battery less than a year ago,and it runs out of juice in seconds when I have longer calls than couple of minutes.I've had it almost three years now,and it seems that I need new phone.

There seems to be big differens in quality on samekind of phones.Some work great,even if they are dropped on the floor or on the asphalt(like I've done,accidentaly,of course,and many times),and some broke on some small hit or something.

I don't know about these new Nokia models,but what I've heard,the cheaper ones are POS,but expensive ones are better.

Next phone that I'm going to buy(not necessarily a Nokia) needs to have voice control,because next summer it's going to be illegal to talk on the cellphone while driving if it doesn't have hands free equipment.Not that I talk on phone while driving,but it's good to have such a feature.

'80 K5,355/350/205,soon 6.2 diesel swapped in and 33" tires[​IMG]

13. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

... they all suck!

behemoth K5
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool -
    than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"

14. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Thanks for all the inputs guys and gals..

Mark, you bring up an excellent point. Most people that I know who have problems have cheap phones and the ones that have better phones are usually happier. I'm pretty much looking at Verizion and Voicestream I think. But definely gonna be looking to get a better phone. Thanks for the input!

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch</a>

15. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I do and I don't agree and I do this for a living.
    Cingular's free phone in the Atlanta Market is The Nokia 5165. Excelent phone overall. That chassis has been built for 5 years and well proven to be reliable. I'm not sales...I FIX them. The only thing I will warn you is that Nokia recently changed manufactures on their display and are having a problem with the Display. This is unusal for Nokia.
    Ericcson SUX! They have design flaws and all sorts of problems. They just sole the wireless division to Sony. Hopefully that will turn them around but Sony put some weird stuff out in the past.
    Motorola on TDMA carriers (usualy AT&amp;T and Cingular) stink also. Their CDMA and GSM products are not to bad I hear.
    Also there is a lot to be said for a carrier with some equipement suport. Cingular has repair centers. When you do have a problem you have an outlet to get a repair. That's worth something these day's. Phones are built cheap because customers don't want to spend much. They are more prone to problems these days. The problems are not the electronics that run them it's stuff like displays and housings. Stuff that can be fixed IF your carrier has service centers.
    If the carrier has a shop go ask the shop people what's worth getting that's not comming back for MAJOR problems. By pass the sales people. Slaes people are constantly having slaes promo's sponsored by manufactures. Ericsson does this a lot. I hate their junk and so do most customers. Problem is the sales person can get stuff for pushing products. Ericsson last sales contest they were giving away Play Station 2's $250 gifts, Stereo's and VCR's. This was WEEKLY. I know of sales people that recived 3 PS2's, 2 VCR's, A Stereo and over $750 in cash from the last contest. Sales will push what get's them the mopst perks not what is best.

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper