Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

cellphone coax for cb

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by danielzink, Jul 19, 2003.

1. danielzink

danielzink Registered Member

The PO of my Suburban had one of those old "bag" phones and ran coax from the front to the rear roof and mounted a base on the roof.
    The coax is still there and if I remove the base...we...I'll have a hole in my roof.

So, can I use this coax run and the base for a cb install ?

Thanks, Dan

87 Burban

2. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

You will have to change the connectors or get adapters but the coax will work just fine for CB or basically any other type radio. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. danielzink

danielzink Registered Member

I took a quick look around today. The mount that is on my roof has a male end sticking out of it. The CB antennas that I've looked at all seem to male ends coming from them. Any ideas as to where I could get a female to female connector or a CB antenna that has a female end on it ?

thanks, Dan

4. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

hmm....... Normally a cb antenna has a female UHF(PL-239) type connector on it. The radio and antenna both have female ends and the cable normally has males at both ends. Cell phone antennae normally use a TNC type connector on them (Also female IIRC). Either way you should be able to find the connectors and/or adapters you need from Radio Shack.

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I took a quick look around today. The mount that is on my roof has a male end sticking out of it. The CB antennas that I've looked at all seem to male ends coming from them. Any ideas as to where I could get a female to female connector or a CB antenna that has a female end on it ?

thanks, Dan

[/ QUOTE ] Easy, cut the ends off and put on the ends for CB.