Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

cellular service.... im looking at getting a new one

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by muddysub, Oct 31, 2004.

1. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

my contract with AT&T ends in january and im thinking about getting a contract with someone else. i was thinking about nextel for the walkie talkie thing with a few of my friends and my g/f wants one too. does anyone have nextels on here? are they any good? what i hate about AT&T is that as soon as i leave town i lose service. so what are yall using, what do you like/dislike about it? sprint, cingular, at&t, nextel tell me about em.

2. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Cingular here, and im very pleased with the service and the price. Almost always have service, even when nobody else does, no dropped calls, and all the bills are spot on. I had At&t, and i wasnt very happy at all. Bills were always screwed up, service sucked, you know the routine. I dont have a nextel, but i do know one thing, when fishing on the Turtle Flambeu Flowage, my cingular phone works, my cousins Nextel doesnt.

3. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

Cingular and AT&T are now the same company as of Friday. I have AT&T and it's a plan with no roaming charges as long as I'm somewhere they cover, which is almost everywhere (except Moab and Wyoming)

4. walla2k5

walla2k5 1/2 ton status

Nextel is just like everyone eles, out of area is out of area...Walkie-talkie is cool /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

It looks too me that Verizon has the best coverage. Well, atleast around here anyways. In all honesty, I say you should check into who all has the best coverage in your part of the country. I agree, there is nothing worse then loosing service. Almost makes you want to get a satilite phone. I travel from western SD. to Ia. and Ne. every now and then and Verizon works the best for me. I don't like unexpected monthly bills, so I have the pre-paid service. I buy cell time as needed. [ QUOTE ]
    Can you hear me now ? Good.

[/ QUOTE ]

6. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Verizon is the best that I have had so far. I have never used nextel, but thier coverage map didn't impress me. I drive truck, so I get out of my home town quite a bit, and Verizon works close to everywhere. Verizon has a deal with Sprint to use Sprint's towers and it is included in the regular plan, no extra money. So it would be useless to get Sprint.

7. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Verizon hands down. When my friends with NexTel, Cingular, Sprint, etc. are all walking around waving their phones like some divining rod trying to get a signal, my Verizon is full bars clear as a bell. I've been out in the middle of Nevada in the boonies and still called home.

8. paulmoon

paulmoon 1/2 ton status

I use Verizon. I have 5 phones on my family calling plan so we can talk for free to each other.( we're in different parts of the country). But it seems other plans are just as good. It just that Verizon works much better here in the mountains (more towers than the other companies so far). Verizon's customer service has been very good and they've been easy to work with. Good luck.

9. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

Sprint is the best, it has the best coverage for Texas. I travel a lot being a college athlete and my team travels a lot of BFE routes and I rarely run out of service. SOme of my friends from Kansas have Verizon and they weren't getting any service. Plus sprint has FREE anytime Sprint to Sprint minutes, no one else has that IIRC.

10. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

I just switched from Verizon to T-Mobile. Verizon has the best coverage hands down in the USA IMO but they are expensive. I needed 1,000 anytime minutes and went with T-Mobile for $40/month. Since Im mostly around the Phoenix metro area my coverage is good....not as good as Verizon but good. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

Verizon is the best. Never drop calls and always works, even when we're in the moutains.

12. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

I here t-mobile gives you so many anytime minutes because they drop so many calls and the service is more limited /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif but that could just be gossip... /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

My vote is for Verizon, just switched to them and my reception is much better-can actually get reception in my house! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

13. Hustler

Hustler 1/2 ton status

In the Midwest, East, and SouthEast I would say either Cingular or Sprint. Either one has the best coverage and almost no areas with no coverage. Verizon sucks in Missouri.

14. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

nextel sucks unless you have a tower that follows you around. i never had service with mine. i dunno how theyre set up out west, but if they decide to build a service area that doesnt have huge gaps in it, it'll be worth paying a chitload on calls to be able to have free walkie talkie.

right now, i'm on US cellular, and its great. no, i dont have walkie talkie anymore, but ive had it about 8 months now, and i have only found one place where i dont get service, and thats in BFE on my drive to school. and it only lasts for about 5 minutes.

15. bigyellowjimmy

[ QUOTE ]
    I here t-mobile gives you so many anytime minutes because they drop so many calls and the service is more limited but that could just be gossip...

My vote is for Verizon, just switched to them and my reception is much better-can actually get reception in my house!

[/ QUOTE ]

In my experiences travelling Verizon service is excellent overall. I *think* they have the most cell towers and Ive had nothing but excellent customer service from them. They also offer nice starter phones. I went with T Mobile because I now work right in the Phoenix metro area and travel little. T Mobile does ok but I dont have quite as good reception and their phone selection sucks. They dont even offer a top of the line phone to purchase through them at startup. On the other hand what's 1,000 anytime minutes with free long distance and roaming nationwide cost through Verizon?

16. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

all phones and phone companies suck. That said, nextel's walkytalky thingy works pretty good. At loomis we even got signal when we were in the US Bankcorp cash vault... which is underground directly beneath a 40-story skyscraper. Not bad.

j

17. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    On the other hand what's 1,000 anytime minutes with free long distance and roaming nationwide cost through Verizon?

[/ QUOTE ]

A small fortune - dont know the exact costs, probably $100 a month. But their America's choice plan is pretty good, just not as many minutes. Non-issue for me, I don't talk that much, and a lot of my calls are relatives with Verizon, so thats free.

18. bigyellowjimmy

[ QUOTE ]
    A small fortune - dont know the exact costs, probably $100 a month. But their America's choice plan is pretty good, just not as many minutes. Non-issue for me, I don't talk that much, and a lot of my calls are relatives with Verizon, so thats free.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was in your shoes before I became a Realtor, now I gotta watch it to keep my minutes under 1,000.....I dont even use my cell phone for anything but work anymore.

I had the Americas Choice plan, decent non roaming areas, long distance,350 day minutes, 4000 weekend/night minutes for $39.95/month. I was a good plan if you dont need a whole lot of day minutes /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

19. bigyellowjimmy

[ QUOTE ]
    all phones and phone companies suck

[/ QUOTE ]

Ha ha, tell us how you really feel /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif