Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cement burns? Severe skin irritation?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, Mar 13, 2004.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I wa working with cement today for about 2 hours, with some soaked gloves... It was pretty painful, but I figured it was just sand in the gloves irritating the skin. Now, it feels like soeone's pouring acids and lemon juice on my hands...

Anybody ever go through this? The wife is telling me to go to the ER, but at $200 copay, I think I'll wait to make sure I need to (like when my hand falls off. Glad I give up so much of my check for insurance!)...

Check this out:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

now that I'm 20 minutes out of the shower, they're oozing puss... We just counted 10 blisters and nasty irritation (it burns ma!), on top of the swelling. She just hung up with the hospital, and of course they insist I need to come in... The dumb things I do on saturday afternoons... But, I finally got the floor of the crawl space cemented! Let's see that rat try to dig his way back in now!

2. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Were your gloves soaked with water? If so, they probably just wore your hands raw. Kinda like when you wear shoes without socks...

I have countless cut and abrasions on my hands that look like that and hurt like a bitch and I just put Neosporene(sp?) on them....then again I'm no doctor... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

3. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

that's what i thought at first, that's why i kept working with burning hands. but i've been surfing the net, turns out it's a second-degree alkali burn. we got in touch with my general doctor, he said put hand lotion on and come in tomorrow. my hands are getting ultra-stiff now, thoguh, from the dried skin...

4. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    a second-degree alkali burn.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Well, that sounds painful! /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif I hope ya get it fixed up... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Me too... It's not that bad after all, but the pics don't really do it justice. if I went to the ER< I'd be $200 poorer and feel 10x duber when they give me moisturizer cream and a prescription cream... The net's great; half hour of surfing and I can cure myself...

6. mudgirl1972

mudgirl1972 Registered Member

if you have any real thick lotion that is a cream will do the trick for the stiffness, slather that on, put on plastic wrap over them and then have the wife warm towels in the dryer or microwave and wrap your hands in the towels for about 5 minutes and that will help alot.

7. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    if you have any real thick lotion that is a cream will do the trick for the stiffness, slather that on, put on plastic wrap over them and then have the wife warm towels in the dryer or microwave and wrap your hands in the towels for about 5 minutes and that will help alot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Also when you go to bed put the lotion on your hands very thick and put your hands into a pair of socks...Really..JUST DONT USE VASELINE it will not allow the wounds to breathe /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

8. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

clean it
    neosporin
    band aid

thank you

9. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

After years of messed up hands I found a tip. I buy rubber gloves in a 100 count box. The kind doctors wear. I put these on when I am working on stuff, or if I have work gloves on I wear these on my hands under the workgloves. It helps and I track less dirt in the house for my old lady to find. Hope it helps next time /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

This is why you don't wear gloves when working with cement or concrete. It gets into the gloves and wears down your skin in no time. Then the acids and other stuff in there gets into the wounds and causes what you have there...

Boy are you gonna feel bad when you see that mouse again... /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

11. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Boy are you gonna feel bad when you see that mouse again...

[/ QUOTE ]

I will perch myself on the stairs with my .22, and pop anything that moves and is smaller than my dog at that point /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif. Just gotta make sure the windows are closed so the wind doesn't blow..

Actually, I took some photos of the area I was cementing before and during the dirt removal and floor collapse. A rat had excavated probably about 30+ cubic feet under the crawl space floor. I finished re-pouring most of the floor, but could still stand to put another 2 bags down...

As for my hands, I've always worn rubber gloves, but I only had 1 left and used it to clear the rats junk out. I guess I forgot there was a reason I always wore long-cuffed rubber gloves every other time I worked with cement, and I didn't bother to read the package this time...

I wish I read those tips before I went to sleep! The sock idea sounds great. It almost seems worse today, and there's definately more stuff coming out.

12. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

Just like the doctor tols you.
    Its Alakli burns. I learned that tha hard way several years ago working with cement bare handed. Ate the skin right off and hurt for weeks until it healed.

Use rubber gloves if your hands are going to be exposed. Best not to stick your hands in cement

13. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Thats weird. I've worked with over 15 yards of concrete that my dad and I had poured, screed, and floated and never had one trouble with burns. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif Probably half the time I wore gloves until they got too wet and heavy then I threw them off and went bare handed. Never did experience what you did. Maybe its the type of concrete that may be different from what you guys in the northeast use compared to what the midwesterns use? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

14. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I agree wes...I've poured my share of concrete in my time too--10 yards about two years ago at my moms house. Never had a burn. Crazy stuff I tell ya.

15. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

I had worked with cement in the past with no problems.
    My problem occured when I decided to pour color cement in a yard and did alot of the mixing of the color by hand in the wheelbarrel. Thats where my hands got completly dried out, cracked and burns. Was pretty damn painful for several days.

16. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

A few years back I helped my dad repair his basement wall. We had to stuff concrete with our finger into the voids in the limestone blocks. We both ended up with those type of caustic burns. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif

Now I wear rubber gloves whenever I work with concrete. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

17. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I had worked with cement in the past with no problems.
    My problem occured when I decided to pour color cement in a yard and did alot of the mixing of the color by hand in the wheelbarrel. Thats where my hands got completly dried out, cracked and burns. Was pretty damn painful for several days.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto. I've worked with lots of concrete before, barehanded or with rubber gloves, with no probs, but in this case, I was mixing small batches by hand wearing cloth gloves. My arms were exposed up to mid-arm, but the burns are only in places where the stuff sat in the gloves and didn't circulate out when I rinsed the gloves with the hose. Between my fingers, back of my thumbs, back of my hand near the thumb, and first knuckles. I was fine when I was mixing the ready-mix concrete. When I started adding pure cement, that's when I started having the troubles...

It sucks, my doctor yesterday gave me some cream to put on and wrapped my hands up. I did less dramatic bandaging for work today, but all the open wounds are still oozing. I don't think I'll forget rubber gloves or frequent rinsing again...

18. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

The trick to fill voids is to use one of those concrete vibrators. Just a small handle with a long "wand" or hose and a steel prod on the end of it. Turn the switch on and it vibrates like mad. Does a damn good job of smoothing the cement out and really saves your back from screeding a lot. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

19. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    The trick to fill voids is to use one of those concrete vibrators. Just a small handle with a long "wand" or hose and a steel prod on the end of it. Turn the switch on and it vibrates like mad. Does a damn good job of smoothing the cement out and really saves your back from screeding a lot. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I bet that would work for a floor, but we were doing the exterior basement wall. The whole job kinda sucked....lots of digging with shovels etc etc.....no thanks. /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

20. o2bjimmy

o2bjimmy 1/2 ton status

Concrete is an alkalai. A guy I used to work with always carried a little lemon shaped lemon juice container in his lunchbox. He said the acid in the lemon juice helps neutralize the base chemicles in the concrete. I never tried it so not sure if its true.