Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cement shortage?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, May 27, 2004.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Any of you guys hear about a cement shortage?

I'm wondering if that's why the driveway contractor hasn't called me back yet.

2. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif Call him again and ask /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

3. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

hmmmmm...That would make some sense, wouldn't it...

4. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I think there might be a shortage around here, the roads have ALOT of tire swallowing potholes all over /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif
    Maybe not tire swallowing, but some can be horride in a car /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I just read the other day that so much cement is being sent to China, due to construction on a massive scale, that the US is indeed seeing some concrete shortages. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

6. mtn. burb

mtn. burb 1/2 ton status

The cement shortage is real. China has a massive construction boom underway, such that the Beijing skyline is filled with tower cranes and placing booms. As a result, they are not exporting cement to the U.S.A., nor are they shipping scrap metal to us for the manufacture of reinforcing bar. In the So.Cal. construction market concrete prices have risen as demand is up and material is harder to supply. I met with a ready mix sales manager 2 hours ago on a pour site. He told me that they're will no longer be any Saturday deliveries. The ready mix plants are all on allocation for cement, on a daily basis. The readymix plants have notified all accounts that if you are not paying your concrete bills, you will not be shipped concrete. Things are really hot in our market...we are extemely busy pumping concrete. So, this makes it a tough climate for concrete contractors to schedule the pours in. In addition, as a result of less scrap steel for rebar, the price on that material is rising weekly. to the tune of 30% in the last month. Lumber is available,but rising in cost quickly. In summary, the cement shortage is real, and as to why your contractor has not gotten back to you is perhaps he is too busy. Get some referalls, and call around. Good luck.

7. bigburban383

bigburban383 1/2 ton status

Put it in your freezer. Food Savers work great /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

8. mtn. burb

mtn. burb 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

9. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

Just ignore him, he's a kid and doesn't know enough about our industry.

The shortage has screwed things up here too.
    My company normally purchases several new mixers each spring, usually around 11 or so, well this year there will be no new trucks, non getting new paintjobs and the overhaul schedule has been streched out due to lack of work.

This really blows but once the damm dam is finished over there hopefully things will pick back up.

10. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

It's gonna be awhile before they finish that dam... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

11. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

Yeah that's true, but I'm still on disability from when I spilled my concrete.

[​IMG]

So at least I don't have to worry about it affecting my job for a while. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

Dang I just noticed all the backed up traffic there, I must've done that during rush hour /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

12. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

It's supposed to be done in 2009, heres a good site I found No their not using any concrete at all... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

13. mtn. burb

mtn. burb 1/2 ton status

That's a big dam! /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

14. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

I knew it was gonna be big, but that is basically mind boggling! /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

15. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

I just took 17 pallets of "white concrete" from El Paso, TX to Phoenix, along with another truck that had the same thing,,,,

Although it is for pools, it's still concrete, and yes,,,VERY expensive,,,$3000/pallet. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

16. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Yeah that's true, but I'm still on disability from when I spilled my concrete.

[​IMG]

So at least I don't have to worry about it affecting my job for a while. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

Dang I just noticed all the backed up traffic there, I must've done that during rush hour /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That's one way to empty the truck! /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

17. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

Yea we had an order out for a few pallets of hand drive nails....We just got in 1 Case of every size in 1 & 5lb boxes. As far as I know the Gun nails are still coming in.

Whats funny, is with the change from CCA to CA lumber were actually running into a had time getting composite decking were going through a few trucks a week.

Of course in this slumping economy we live in our sales YTD are 197% of same time last year, and the monthly increases over same month last year are growing bigger each month.

18. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I watched a documentary on it and those pics on that site don't do it justice, from the internal heat of the concrete setting it probably wont cool off for the next 500 years even with all that water behind it... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

19. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

I've seen a couple programs on it too.

Some where I thought I heard the Hoover Dam still had not finished cooling yet either.
    That could be a load of BS too though I don't know.

But I'm interested in how they plan on dealing with the sediment that is going to back up against the damm each year.

20. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

I remember watching a "Modern Marvels" on the History Channel about Hoover Dam. They said the engineers incorporated a cooling system into the dam for that reason. Thousands of feet of tubing throughout the dam, and a pump/heat exchanger system. They ran the coolant through it for a LONG time (don't remember how long...) and when the heat was finally gone, they pumped slurry into the tubing.