Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Center Axle Disconnect

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by spm4520, Sep 11, 2002.

1. spm4520

spm4520 Registered Member

I read in the latest issue of Peterson's 4 Wheel, that Dodge trucks come with Dana 60's and that the front includes a Center Axle Disconnect(CAD) system. I like the idea of a solid front axle that I don't have to engage manually through the hubs. The only thing I didn't like was that it was vacum operated. I used to have an '89 Chevy with IFS and an aftermarket cable operated CAD upgrade was available. Has anyone heard of a cable upgrade for the Dana 60 with the CAD system? What do you think of this type of Dana 60?

2. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Don't know about the availability of a cable set up. If you want a D60, I'd hold out for the real thing. The Dodge CAD D60's have ball joints instead of king pins but most importantly the axle shafts are only 1.31" / 30 spline NOT 1.5" / 35 spline. Their axles are the same size as a D44 but with bigger axle joints. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

3. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

CAD = WEAK POINT

4. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

the same people make one for the Dodge, something like posi 4x4.

5. j20m715

j20m715 1/2 ton status

Whats the point ??? Everything in there still turns.
    I dont understand there (dodge) thinking.

Oru has a kit to convert it to locking hubs but its $$$$$$ & you still have a weak spot in the axle housing.