Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Center Console

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by lgn, Feb 21, 2001.

1. lgn

lgn Newbie

I have an 83 K-5 and need a center console for it. I have a tan interior but would look at any color. Thanks for all responses.

LG

2. TheGeneral

TheGeneral 1/2 ton status

I just finished welding mine own after shock from sticker price of a Tuffy console. The tuff was good, but I wanted something a little bigger, and not the high cost. I used 3/16 Steel plate for walls, bottom, top, and cover. It fits where old stock unit did, but also goes forward to encase transfer lever. It has the standard cup holders built in front and for rear seat passengers. I keep a CD changer, amplifier, and inverter in mine with plenty of space for other crap, yet organized. I had it sprayed with Rhino liner in and out too, which makes it durable and looks good. All in all, I have about 150 in it in parts (locks, latches, and other stuff for function) I have the plans on paper, and am going to scan them for pics to put out. Probably have it in a week, and all you need to make is an torch or some other cutter, arc welder (gas better), and general hand tools. Oh, also, one of the best things I did was incorporate a metal strapping to hold the seatbelts up (female end), as most old seatbelt buckles fall down all the time after use. If you don't have welding skills (not really needed other than makin a good bead) most shops will do it at a reasonable price. Should have the pics on net in couple of weeks.

If you ain't hurt, you ain't playin' hard enough.

The General

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

3/16 inch plate!! WOW!!!!!!!! and they acuse me of over kill! Bet you had to use a engine hoist to set that thing in. I use 3/16 to make bumpers and skid plates. Have you checked to see what cal bulit it will stop? I'm guessing 44 mag hehehe. Can't wait to see the pictures! I'm pretty floored about the tuffy price myself. I have had some dealing with the guy at Jeep Box. He has a standard box that is pretty close to the size of the stock box made out of diamond plate aluminum for less than the Tuffy.Just want to see if he can make it open to the side instead of flip back like the stock. lot easier to deal with a 10 inch wide door thant a 18 inch door that will hit you in the elbow.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/>http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/</A>

4. Dragworm

Dragworm Registered Member

Can't wait to see those pictures. Sounds like there'll be 2 things left after a nuclear war - Roaches and that console!

So, which one of you is the brains of the operation?
    To tell you the truth it's not exactly a "brains" type operation.

5. lgn

lgn Newbie

Can you e-mail the plans? I would be happy to draw them for you in a electronic dwg format if they are hand drawn.

LG

6. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

If you just want to buy one and not build it I have seen some Steel Horse brands that seem pretty good and decent prices. I almost got one but opted to stick with my seats the way they were in the end. I think I saw them at Sam's Club so the prices were lower then probably other spots....but these are not 3/16 that is for sure...and probably will not survive a TnT blast....

"I love the sound rice burners make when ya run over them"

7. TheGeneral

TheGeneral 1/2 ton status

I'll scan the plans at work tomorrow, and send them out tomorrow night. I also saw a stock unit for sale on ebay the other night. I think it was gray. To find that on ebay, I was searching for Chevy Truck Seats under the ebay motors, parts and accesories section. I still think the metal one is best way to go, if you ever plan on doing a CanBaK type soft top, as it is pretty secure for my audio. The only thought I give to it now is water. I am debating on the whole idea of building something that will go up in headliner, and mount to front horizontal of windshield (inside obviously) and extend back to integrate rollbar (b pillar) This would help keep the audio out of water when she gets a little too deep as she always tends to do. We will see about that. Sometimes I just get bored and start burnin the torch to see what I can come up with. Try to get you the skematics by tomorrow night. Later.

Joel

If you ain't hurt, you ain't playin' hard enough.

The General

8. Dragworm

Dragworm Registered Member

You might also think about a gasket route like on an ammo can, not sure how difficult it would be but it should work to keep the water out.

So, which one of you is the brains of the operation?
    To tell you the truth it's not exactly a "brains" type operation.

9. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

I bet you could make a pretty cool bead with some black RTV. Just have to use masking tape and be handy with an exacto knife. Heck if ya sealed it good enough it would probably exceed the crush depth of navy submarines, lol.

Two lanes wide, twelve yards long, sixty-five tons of American pride....Canyanero!