Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Center consoles

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CyberSniper, May 21, 2005.

1. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I need some people with SM465s and K5s to take some measurements. I have a K5 interior (console and seats) and want to put them in a pickup... but I can't remember what a K5 floor looks like.

I need the measurement from the top of the ash tray lid to the front of the console.
    I need the measurement from the ceiling to the top of the console.

I need someone with a ~2" body lift to measure the clearance between the shifter and the center console for me.

Lastly, anyone ever built their own center console out of steel? Since I'm going to go through the effort of putting buckets in I want a center console I can secure stuff in. Like cameras, GPS, registration/proof of insurance, money, et cetera. The vehicle has no door glass or locks.

2. 86chevybanshee

86chevybanshee 1/2 ton status

it should be ok.

i had k5 buckets and console in my 86, with an sm465, but i didnt have a BL but there was plenty of room, reverse might be close tho

3. CyberSniper

Well, I have a 2wd cab. Things are a bit different. There are no dimples in the floor where factory buckets/console would be.

I think I have the seat part figured out. However, I still don't know about the console. The shifter hits the bench seat when in reverse now.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Only thing I can comment on is the console.

The Tuffy's are pricey, but the quality of these things is worth it. It would take someone like me with little fabrication experience and no metal laying around (plus hinges, pads, etc) a long time to build something of that quality. Something about being able to sit on it and not worry about it breaking. :)

Just my opinion. They are expensive, but worth every penny.

If I had a stock console I'd go out and measure the things you ask for. :(

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Different??

I had a 74 C1500 GMC pickup with factory buckets(and a 454!)--I was not aware the floors were different where the seats go,I know the tranny hump area is different..my 74 had a factory console identical to the K5's of the same vintage..I wish I kept that interior!..

I made a custom bucket seat setup for my 74 K20,it has a angle iron rectangular frame the OEM bench seat tracks bolt too--I used a crude plywood box as a seat/console,to store my winch remote and spare plow pins and bolts,tools,etc...then,I had the brainstorm of using one of those small safes you see for sale at Wal-Mart--it was great for keeping things secure,,and it had the perfect dimensions..but had 2 major disadvantages--

1. They could pick it up and run away with it(and everything in it!)..and since it WAS a safe,any theif automatically assumed it contained valuables.. :mad:

2.If a police officer happenned to see it,he would immediately ask me to open it!..not that I had anything illegal in it--but I was guilty until proven innocent when all they would find were the above mentioned things,and maybe a camera,and a few dollars change,they apologized or simply walked away.. :crazy:

I saved the bucket seat setup when I stripped the K20--they are the right color seats to match my 79 C10 or the 82 K20 diesel,but they are too "upright" to be very comfortable on long rides..they might just get used as a "couch" out in my garage instead!.. :crazy:

6. CyberSniper

Anybody happen to have pictures of factory bucket brackets?

I think I have my bucket seat stuff figured out. I don't know if they are both adjustable stock but mine are.

I haven't decided yet, but I think I might try using a K5 console. Not sure yet. It looks like it might be too tall

Can anybody tell me what years suburbans had the nice captains chairs? I spotted some at the junkyard but they're ragged out pretty bad.

7. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

in my k5 with 465 and center console, i can't have a dink in the drivers side cup holder when shifting into reverse...the shifter clears the console but not the drink..

8. CyberSniper

Well, today is day two of trying to get factory K5 high back buckets in my trail rig.

I managed to figure out a way to get them in there (and adjust independently) without sitting in the middle of the truck without spending tons of time fabricating. The first try put me too close to the steering wheel but has the right "pitch". So, I'm going to put that seat bracket on the passenger side.

I'm kind of mad at myself for spending so much time on it but at least the first one turned out very comfortable. Not like the typical bucket swap which is incredibly uncomfortable and not adjustable.

9. CyberSniper

Well, I just went for a test drive. If there were anything that was ever the shiznit, high back K5 bucket seats in a pickup are it.

10. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

and to top it all off , i think the high back buckets are one of the most comfy factory seats i have had....glad you like them

11. CyberSniper

Yeah, I definitely like them. I used to think the factory benches in 90-92 IFS Chevys were comfortable... you know, with the little arm rest and all...

But these K5 buckets... oh so nice. I got the pitch perfect... I could sleep in them. They're not like 89-91 K5 seats which feel like a milk crate wrapped with foam... these are nice. Just enough bolstering to be comfortable but not so much they're a nuissance to get in. The back isn't too wide like a lot of van seats are but not real narrow like S-series seats.

I'll be watching the junkyard for another set, that's for sure. And I'm a bench seat kind of guy.

12. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

As far as the consol went, I couldn't justify the cost of a Tuffy box. Plus I wanted as big a box as I could find (quit laughing ;) ). So I had a thick walled (1/8"?) aluminum box large enough to fill the space between buckets side to side and between the rear seats when folded down and the xcase shifter welded up for me.

I rhino lined the exterior, bolted a Tuffy cup holder to the front and a clipboard clip to the top, and added two hinged latches. Oh yeah and it's bolted to the floor.

It holds my CB, amp, power invertor, CD's, and stereo face, with room for TONS of stuff.

I say forget Tuffy. Yeah they are sweet. But "Built not Bought" always wins out!

13. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

i wanna see pics

14. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

I'll take some tonight.

15. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

Here are those pics,

center console 1.jpg

center console 2.jpg