Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Center dash speaker size on an '85 K5 Blazer?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by 1985_K5_Silverado, Jan 2, 2006.

1. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

I recently bought an '85 K5 Silverado that will soon be undergoing a body and interior restoration. It still has the factory (RPO UN3) AM/FM/Cassette head unit the factory speakers (original stuff is great - except when it isn't, and the factory audio isn't).

The body is a little rusty in the rear quarters and floor pan, and since the carpet will be removed for body panel replacement (and then replaced with new carpet after the sheet metal work is done), I thought that would be a fine time to yank all the factory audio hardware and install some new equipment. The dash pad has a big crack, so that pad will be yanked and replaced with a new pad, and that seems to be a fine time to put some new speakers up there.

My question: What size is that center dash cutout, the place where the single AM radio speaker would be installed? 4x6? 4x10? Some other size?

I don't intend to install a DVD/LCD head unit immediately, but will do so sometime this year, and I wanted to would put a "future center channel" speaker in that middle cutout (with its effiency and quality roughly matched to the L and R 3-1/2 speakers that I'll drop in to replace the cheesy factory units).

I'd leave the speaker wiring to that future center channel hanging (so it'd be easy to hook later) until I have a video head unit with a center channel output. I'll also be running a bunch of extra power and audio/video cabling for future gadgets and upgrades that I'll surely buy from time to time. It's just easier to do it now than at various times in the future.

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

The other 83 I have had a 4x10 . I gave the whole lot , radio , dash harness , and speaker to cmoe as a dummy in the dash radio .

He could measure it for you I'm sure , but it looked 4x10 to me .

3. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

Thanks for that! I just wanted to see if it might be some oddball size with no aftermarket equivalent at all. The 4x10 selection is limited, but there are some decent enough ones on the market.

After I start doing some interior disassembly in a few weeks, get the dash pad off, and measure that speaker hole, I'll know for certain. I'll probably buy a pair of good 4x10 speakers, use one, and put the other on the shelf for the next wacko that needs a center channel speaker in an older GM vehicle for a vid system.