Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Center drop, passenger side exhaust manifolds?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BadDog, Jun 29, 2003.

1. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Well, doubler is going in this weekend (FINALLY) so I am now forced to change my exhaust from the factory Y pipe. I don't want duals and I absolutely despise headers. What I have in mind is to switch one (or both) of the manifolds to get a center drop on the passenger side, and run it under the oil pan to Y in on the drivers side before going back to a single 34” glass pack. Rams horns are an option, but maybe there is something else?

So, what are my options? These are my criteria.

1) Driver and passenger drop straight down the middle. If I can keep the modern manifolds (under bottom with air injection) I can just keep my driver’s side manifold.
    2) I would rather just get a passenger side and use stock type as close to my 89s as possible to keep air ports and all. Maybe a Van or something?
    3) Diameter is not a huge deal with my stock TBI 350. I don't much care about high rpm power, I doubt it will ever see over 4K anyway.

If Rams horns are the best options, what years and part numbers for the smaller (2”?) diameter versions. I asked that before on another post but I don't believe it was ever answered. Link to that post is below.

Old post

2. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

the passenger side ramhorn is 129.00 and the drivers is 109.00 at oreilleys. i just went with headers. my friend had some jaguar manifolds that he was gonna let me use. one of them dropped down in the center. they are now on another truck though. but its an idea

3. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I did the opposite. Ran the drivers side center drop to Y into the passenger side and to the outside of the frame by the shackle. Would be easier to just Y in and run it inside the frame and back unless your all clocked and in the way.

4. BadDog

Hmm, Jaguar? Is that for a SBC transplant or something?

5. BadDog

I can't go down the passenger side due to the clocked 205 and my fuel lines/filter right there by where the 205 is now located. I wanted to run outside the frame and, a long time back, that was my plan. But since then, I built my sub-frame which does not allow enough room to do that. I also have damaed my floor sheet metal up INSIDE my rocker bars so, exhaust would be vulnerable in that area, even if I could tuck it up enough. My only real option right now is to go down the drivers side inside the rail. Plus, center drop on the passenger side keeps the starter cooler too...

Thanks for the suggestions, please keep them coming. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Ram's are a good choice. Here's the set I had on my crewcab. Note the minor clearancing at the driver's engine mount.

[​IMG]

other pic 1 other pic 2

7. BadDog

u2slow:
    Actually, yours was the picture I was asking about in the other thread. You've even got the same TBI 350. What was the application you got yours from? You have the 2" version? Part numbers maybe?

8. mosesburb

mosesburb For Rent Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Hey Russ,
    I should be able to get you what you need. New aftermarket only, though. Call me at work if interested.
    See ya.

9. BadDog

Cool! I'll call tomorrow.

10. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

My manifolds went with the engine. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif (they were 2" BTW)

I looked up 72 K20 exhaust manifold on www.Car-Part.com and it returned 4 pages of hits. Half were new parts - $77 seemed to be the going rate.

The application for these 2" straight-dump ram-horns seems to be 69-72 4x4 truck, 75-79 Corvette, and 69-70 fullsize car.