Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

center link

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by imconfused, Jul 2, 2000.

1. imconfused

imconfused Registered Member

Can someone please tell me where I might be able to find a new center link( also called adjustable link) . This is the 52 inch bar that turns the front wheels . I have found a couple but they include the drivers side tie rod(non-adjustable) as part of the unit .(mine has adjustable tie rods on each side). The problem is that the catalogs state that this unit is ONLY for use with 4.10 axle ratio(I can't imagine what that has to do with the steering!!) unfortunately I can not find a listing for that piece for non 4.10 axle ratios. Last of all ....I just had my alignment done and the shop told me that I needed to replace as it has a small bend in it and will affect the steering ....I'm not sure this is correct . Thanks again for a GREAT site !!!!

2. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

MY "TIE ROD" CENTERLINK HAS HAD A "BIG" SMALL BEND IN IT FOR YEARS AND YEARS. SOUNDS LIKE THE ALIGNMENT SHOP IS COVERING THEIR ASS. BASICALLY YOU WANT TO MEASURE BETWEEN THE FRONT TIRES IN FRONT AND IN BACK AND GET THE SAME DISTANCE. (63 IN AND 63 IN) OR WHATEVER IT IS. OR JUST TAKE IT TO ANOTHER SHOP. GOOD LUCK

creepin' and crawlin'

Jim

3. Balou

Balou 1/2 ton status

Just in case you need a new one, think LMC truck offers them at $90.
    http://www.lmctruck.com/

(one day I will find out how to make it clickable)

Balou
    '79 K5,350,465,205
    [​IMG]"Size DOES matter!!!" said the girl last night [​IMG]

4. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

http://www.lmctruck.com

Balou...when you are making a post, in the upper right hand corner of the page is the word "markup" click on this for the different things you can do, like change the color to <font color=red>RED<font color=black>to make it clickable place a bracket ( [ )then type in url then the other bracket facing the other way. Then type in the url, do not add the http it will do this automatically, then at the end make a another bracket and type in /url then the other bracket. It should look like this without the parenthesis...

( [ )url( ] )www.lmctruck.com[/url]

<font color=green>[​IMG]Eagle86K5[​IMG]<font color=red>
    Masonry...It's a Good Thing
    2B1ASK1

5. Balou

Balou 1/2 ton status

Thanks a lot Ray,
    went through the whole story in FAQ several times, but still do it wrong when posting.
    Whooowwwww, you made it "old hand", what's next?
    "pooh pah" ??? hehehe

Balou
    '79 K5,350,465,205
    [​IMG]"Size DOES matter!!!" said the girl last night [​IMG]

6. Balou

Balou 1/2 ton status

7. Balou

Balou 1/2 ton status

8. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

Don't worry about the bar having a small bend in it, it can still be aligned and won't affect your steering. I've seen race trucks with tie rods shaped almost in an s-curve to clear the a-arms. All that matters is that each end moves the same amount, what's in between can be any shape. Severe bends on the other hand should be replaced because of the stress concetrations they create and it can shorten the effective length of the bar enough that the toe-in can't be corrected.

Joe
    Rochester Institute of Technology Team Mini-Baja
    88 Jimmy

9. Corey-88K5

Corey-88K5 1/2 ton status

Home: Michigan, Stationed: Hill AFB (Home of Moab.
    NAPA will have one. I think they were on the older fullsize trucks. 84 and older rings a bell...

Corey
    88K5

[​IMG]<font color=red>Girls Like Guys In Bow Ties
    http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez