Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

center pin bolt broke!?!?!?!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by big83chevy4x4, Apr 29, 2003.

1. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i was changing rear axle seal and i took the center pin bolt out and it is only 3/4 inch long and it looks like it has been broke for a while. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gifsomeone must have broke it off when putting it back together or when trying to fix the leak. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif is there a way that i can get the rest of the bolt out so that i can change the seal. the seal leaks very bad. been sitting for 3 days and there is a lot of fluid sitting inside the drum. i don't want to put back together and with out fixing it. HELP /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. AnthonyG

AnthonyG 1/2 ton status

Re: center pin bolt broke!?!?!?! NEED HELP FAST

You could drill into it and use an easy out They usually work for me

3. big83chevy4x4

the hole is to close to the housing to get a drill in it to drill it out. i found a complete rearend at a junkyard for $100 so..... looks like im doing a rearend swap. the hard part is that it is in a s10 blazer and the housing is over the springs /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

4. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> An S10 axle is not going to fit your truck. Jut pull the carrier out and remove the piece on the workbench, no need to replace an entire axle because of one broken bolt... </font>

5. SCOTTS_4X

SCOTTS_4X 1/2 ton status

actually if the bolt is broken off and holding the cross shaft in place there is no way of getting the carrier out because you can't push the shafts in to get the clips to fall out. sounds like a crappy deal......go buy a 90* drill and drill it out, I'm sure you can pick one up for under 100 bucks.

-Scott

6. big83chevy4x4

[ QUOTE ]
    An S10 axle is not going to fit your truck.

[/ QUOTE ] the bolt that broke off is in a s10 blazer.

[ QUOTE ]
    actually if the bolt is broken off and holding the cross shaft in place there is no way of getting the carrier out because you can't push the shafts in to get the clips to fall out. sounds like a crappy deal

[/ QUOTE ] thats exactly what happened.

[ QUOTE ]
    go buy a 90* drill and drill it out, I'm sure you can pick one up for under 100 bucks.

[/ QUOTE ] i totally forgot about those. i'll try that. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

How much of the threads are still in there?

8. big83chevy4x4

im not sure but there is still about 1/4 inch before i hit the center pin itself.

9. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Ouch. I reallyscrewed the pooch on this thread. Not reading carefully and not thinking before writing, all in the same post. I'm going to go kick myself in the ass for awhile now. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif </font>

10. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I had that happen to my 12B. I had to take the bearing cap off to get a drill in there. It is a common thing to happen!!!! After I drilled a small hole in it I was able to get a EZ-out in there.

If you can't do it the way I did it (EZ-out) you have to BEAT on the center pin till you shear the center pin bolt!!!

11. scrappyk5

scrappyk5 1/2 ton status

i just did mine in my s15 truck about 6 months ago when i blew my spiders. i went to remove the little bolt and it was broke. so what i did , is loosened up the bearing caps on each side which brought the carrier housing out about
    an inch. then i was able to take a chance and drill into
    the center of the little bolt (what was left inside), using
    a aicraft bit (longer bit).(cant remember the size ). then i used and easy-out and got lucky and was able to remove what was left. good luck .

12. rawhead

rawhead Registered Member

[ QUOTE ]
    You could drill into it and use an easy out They usually work for me

[/ QUOTE ]

I had the same problem and this is exactly what I did. You need to put some jack stands under the rear axle so the tires are off the ground (Don't forget to block the front tires!). Then put the truck in neutral and rotate the rear drive shaft so you can easily access the bolt with a drill. Drill into it and tap in your ez-out and back it out of the hole. I found a new replacement bolt at a local Chevy dealer for $3. Good luck /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif