Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Center Support Bearing on Driveshaft...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 90blzr, Oct 20, 2003.

1. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

1987 2wd suburban. The one on there is all beat down. Cracking, chunks missing from the rubber. MY question is, do they sell just the rubber pieces? If so how much do they run and can you get them at Kragen/Autzone? The one on the driveshaft and the one in the support housing. Or do you have to buy the bearing and all? The bearing seems to be fine, clean, spins freely without binding, etc. Just the rubber around it is almost gone.

/forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gifASAP! Thanks

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

If your talking about the carrier bearing, when I had to replace the rubber part on my old C20, the only place I could find it at was at the dealer, but that was close to 10 yrs ago and i can't remember what i paid for it. Not much help huh, only thing I can suggest is start calling around.

3. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

Yeah, the one in the center of the two shafts. I kinda figured it was gonna be a dealer item.
    So you did just by the rubber pieces and not the whole bearing assembly?

4. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

yes i was able to just buy the rubber piece /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

auto parts stores carry them, easy to find, they are around 22 or 25 bucks for the good ones, GMC Paul has one im sure, gmcpauls.com
    ive bought one fromhim, he sells good ones

they are easy to replace, the old one you have to cut off, thats how the shops have to do it too, rmeove the outside case and rubber and take cutting wheel to the metal inner of the bearing thats pressed onto the end of the shaft, then find a piece of pipe or something that will fit just over the end of the shaft and will press the metal center of the new bearing onto the shaft end.
    or take to a machine shop and have them press it on for you for a few bucks,.
    you will want to do more than just replacethe rubber, i dont think you can take these apart without ruining them anyways, would be pointless anywaysm, the bearing is gonna be old and worn and willneed to be replaced anyways

6. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

actually just found a complete shaft assembly with good joints and good support bearing/rubber that looks like its been replaced/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

For future reference though....what part are you saying to cut off...the rubber or the bearing itself /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Thanks/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

I think he was saying to cut the bearing off? I have never had to do that. A good press will take off the old bearing very easily.

8. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I used to cut them off like that, but now I have a great 20 ton Hydraulic press and I press everything off and on.
    The problem with the driveshaft though is that it's sooo long that it won't fit, so I riged up a way to attach that bolt on bearing seperator on to the hydraulic bender I have and Voila, it worked.
    Pressed out and pressed, piece of cake.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Oh and I agree replace the whole thing, it will need a new bearing once the rubber is falling appart anyway.
    I did mine a couple of months ago and it cost me $40 at Kragen.