Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Centerbolt Valve Cover Tech

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by HarryH3, Aug 21, 2005.

1. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

So I grabbed a pair of centerbolt valve covers that I had on hand, to fancy up an engine that I'm gonna drop into my '90 Suburban. With just a quick comparison to the intended recipient, they appeared to be an exact match. I sanded them up and painted them a nice, gloss red...

Imagine my surprise when I went to install them and found out that the "centerbolts" are NOT in the center of the cover. They're offset ever so slightly to one side, meaning that they can ONLY be installed one way.

Of course, the PCV and oil fill holes are at the exact opposite ends from where I need them to be. :mad: :doah:

These appear to have come from a Caprice, so now I'll be painting a set of truck covers. Anyone need some spiffy covers for their car? :wink1:

2. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

did you try to flip em over?. mine are off of a 90 camaro same as the omes in my dads 91 burb. :confused:

3. HarryH3

Yep. They don't line up when flipped over. Can't even get the gasket to touch the head. Perhaps they should be called off-centerbolt valve covers. :wink1:

4. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

you've got to be doing something wrong. there's no way that these things have been in production for nearly 20 years, and someone just now discovers a difference.

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Caprice valve covers were exactly the same as my pickup ones....

craziness I tell you

6. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Switch them left to right. Then move the pcv line. The motor doesn't care what side you fill it from, and I don't think they are left and right either.

7. HarryH3

That will put the oil fill hole under the a/c lines. :( I never even suspected that these might be different from the ones on the truck engine... :doah:

8. moneypit

moneypit 1/2 ton status

:haha: :haha: :haha:
    Sorry man..... :haha: