Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Centerforce and 454

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TheBlazerKid, Jul 26, 2000.

1. TheBlazerKid

TheBlazerKid 1/2 ton status

does anyone have a centerforce dual friction clutch hooked to a 454?? Im getting one in a fay or two and was wondering if anyone had a part number or info!?.

Your right I dont understand the jeep thing!?

2. MyK-5

MyK-5 Registered Member

Personally I think Centerforce is CRAP! I had a 78 truck with a 350 and a centerforce on it. the disk Shattered going down the freeway. My Brother has one on his F@*D Mustang. He says that is the best thing. In all i dont think it is good one 4x4s

81 Beater

3. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I would have to disagree, I have a CenterForceII (Not a dual friction too much cluch for wheelin) cluch kit used with my SM465 and it's been in my truck sence 94 and I LOVE IT! I have had 0 issues, infact come to think of it I still have not had to adjust it!! The pressure plate is WAY easy on the leg, especially compared to the old 3 fork style!
    The only issue I have ever heard about is useing them in a T@y@ta 4x4 ( a friend of mine is a mecanic for them and they tear up the trannys).
    I would recomend the 60% CenterForceII instead of the 90% dual friction, In my mind thats too much traction for wheelin, just my opinion though and I have never used a dual friction before so sup to you!!

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG] Led Zeppelin
    http://burt4x4.coloradok5.com

4. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

I've ran 2 CenterForce clutches on my 87. One was with the old 350 I use to run which was the CenterForce II. When I went to a 454, I decided to upgrade to the CenterForce dual friction. The CF II was fine but I thought while I was replacing the engine, I may as well replace the clutch. I never had any problems with either and I think they're great clutches. I was afraid the dual friction wasn't going to give any feather ability but it has no problems with that. What I really like is when you really want it to grab it does! To my knowledge, I don't think there's another clutch on the market that will grab as hard as the CF dual friction. I have a hydraulic setup but if you don't, the counter weights should help with the clutch pedal. Be sure to replace the throwout bearing and get the pilot bushing that has the bearings (most GM diesels used this).

Shawn
    87 K5
    454 CenterForce Dual Friction

5. realsquash

realsquash 1/2 ton status

6. BluThndr71JMMY

BluThndr71JMMY 1/2 ton status

I've got a CenterForce II on my 71 Jimmy w/350 and sm465. I have not had any problems with the clutch itself, but I had to elongate the lower clutch rod, then joggle the Z-bar (to miss the hedders), then replace clutch lever and upper clutch push rod.I hope it's the fastest clutch linkage in the county! It was enough hassle. Not CF problems as much as metal fatigue in a 29-YO vehicle.
    Centerforce has tech lines:www.centerforce.com/

7. Shawn

To get the correct clutch, you'll have to measure your old clutch. I think there's two sizes for the K5's.

I'd also like to stress that there's no problems with inching your vehicle with the dual friction. The dual friction acts similar to a normal clutch when a crawl speed is needed.

Shawn
    87 K5

8. Bigd

Bigd 1/2 ton status

Shawn>Was reading this post and i noticed that you said you had a hydraulic setup.Costum? Modified Stock? Was just wondering how you like it and how hard was it?

9. Shawn

That came stock in my 87. I'm not sure how hard it is to convert but I know captkaos was going to do it on his truck. It looks simple to install but you should find a salvaged Blazer/Suburban/Truck. The hydraulic clutch has been very reliable and I've never had to work on it. It's one of the few parts on the K5 that I've left alone.

Shawn
    87 K5