Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Centerforce clutch question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by alec78, Nov 13, 2002.

1. alec78

alec78 1/2 ton status

Here we go... I lost my clutch Sunday night backing into the driveway after a week of elk hunting, talk about timing. No slipping or anything, just no moving!

My problem is I can't decide on which clutch to get. I called Centerforce and they suggested a Centerforce 2. Believe it or not the local Advanced Auto has a Dual Friction for less than Summit or Jeg's. Would it be to my benifit to spend the extra dollars? What are the advantages/disadvantages to each?

My truck /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif is a daily driver, K20. The only mods are dual exhaust and a K&N filter. I have 235 85 R16s and may go to 265 75 R16 (maybe 285/75 R16). I haven't got offroad but a few times in the summer (next summer holds a lot of possibilitys though).

Any thoughts, comments, questions, or rude remarks?

2. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

Well..

I went with the Dual Friction because it came with the clutch disc. 4WPW said the Centerforce 2 does NOT come with a disc! I did not have a pressure plate, disc and a throw-out bearing. So, it was better for me to buy the Dual Friction (because it came with the disc).

Ask yourself, WHY you want a CF2?

I would just get a stock friction disc. Of course, hopefully you don't have any heat cracks on your existing pressure plate of flywheel.

If you want something, or feel you need something with better clamping force, the Centerforce, or CF2 is a nice clutch. I think these are on the expensive side though.

Good luck.

3. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

With your manual clutch linkage, your left leg will never forgive you. I had the dual friction when I had my 465, and it was a huge difference in pedal pressure between it and the stock one. I only upgraded to the dual friction because I kept breaking the splines on the friction disk of the stockers. (I kept breaking them because I raced with it and shifted from Granny to 1st with little clutch use.) /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Unless you are running a built big block with 35-38" tires, and I mean both of those conditions, a stock replacement will do just fine. Plus most come with a lifetime warranty. Your leg will thank you.

Just my .02,
    John

4. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

yea, my clutch has been on the truck since 80k and it has 150k, people have been tell'n me to get a stock clutch, they are 145$ at my place, i have a hydro clutch on my 87, with my sm465, and the stupid thing with the pushrod in it is leakin, so id have to get a new one of those, and machine the fly wheel at this place takes about an hour and 30$, yea id probly get myself a stock clutch tho.

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

5. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I run the CenterForce 2 presure plate and disk. It is 100times smother and softer than the old stock 3fork style!
    I put my cluch in back in 94 and I still haven't had to adjust it or had any issues at all!!
    Great cluch kit!! I would recomend it to anyone with a 465! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

If you get into deep mud and have ever had to pull the inspection cover and hose the clutch out then stay away from Cneterforce. The weights will get jammed with mud and give you problems. I have seen it happen twice.

7. madmike

madmike 1/2 ton status

I would say go with a stock style clutch. I put a stock clutch in my '74 K10 ten years ago. It has lived behind a 305 V8, mechanical linkage, 3:42 gears with 35" tires and light to moderate fourwheeling and some clutch dumping for most of that time. I just switched to one ton axles with 4:10 gears, and it still shows no signs of slippage yet. Stock will do you fine.

8. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

where did you get your stock clutch at? yea i hear that, thats cool you have 1 ton axles on yours, i want to, but i dont want to, just for the fact that i just blew the 10 bolt recently (that thing was a disaster waiting to happen, but it did /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif) i blew that 1 block from my house /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif i got lucky in that aspect. but i got the 12 bolt for free, and a front 10 bolt with matchin 3.08 gears, complete, rotor to rotor, cept its full time, if i ever start lifting the thing up 6 inches and throw 35" tires on it, then i will do the 1 ton thing.

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif