Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Centerforce Clutch

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ramses, Aug 1, 2006.

1. ramses

ramses 1/2 ton status

Im replacing the clutch in my truck for my hydro conversion and I thought about buying a centerforce clutch for it, but im not sure where to order it from. I see them in some magazines but ive never seen them for my truck before. Also if anyone has used one before, are they worth buying? I plan on getting one if I can find where to buy it either way but some opinions would be nice.

2. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

I like mine a lot and would recommend it. The cheapest prices on them are probably on jegs.com or summitracing.com.

3. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

i just went to autozone... $120 or so..

generic clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing and lifetime warranty...:bow:

4. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

I would rather not pull my 465 out every 6 months to take advantage of the warrenty on a bad clutch:doah:

5. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

I have a Dual Friction in Patch, the Wonder Yota. Most of the time it's ok, but once in a while for no appearent reason it will really grab. Like, REALLY grab. Overall I'd be happier with something else. Next time I'm going to try Marlin's clutch kit (which helps you none at all).

6. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

guess you gotta learn how to drive a stick.... :haha:

7. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

do yourself a favor and get a LUK clutch instead. You beed to be able to slip your clutch to some degree. Every CAR that I have ever driven with a centerforce was either on or off... very little slip. I have abused my luk for a couple of years now without one issue.

8. XHitman396

XHitman396 1/2 ton status

the guy who taught my auto-tranny class said he had one a while back. said he couldnt kill it, went through 2-3 transmissions but the clutch kept on going (this was in a mustang 5.0 he had to race). he said the same thing about being very grabby though, not much slippin' to go round. and he's the foremost person on transmissions ill prolly ever meet.

9. ramses

ramses 1/2 ton status

So would it be hard to daily drive a truck with a centerforce clutch in it? Would that mean it would be really jerky everytime you take off or can you get used to it and drive it smoothly? I need something better than stock but I dont need it if its gonna make it aggravating to drive everyday.

10. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I bet you could get used to it for street driving but you will still suffer off road to some degree. If all you run is mud and you drop the clutch a lot to clean the tires out, then get the centerforce. If you ever see yourself in a tight, steep or generally technical section off road, get a Luk or other good quality clutch. I can't count the number of times I have had to slip my clutch... pulling out stucks, starting/stopping on steep grades, slowly working up something, etc.. Centerforce clutches are great for the street but aren't the best choice for most wheelers.

11. Disciples Performance

Disciples Performance 1/2 ton status

my bud is running a centerforce clutch on his 77, and it works awesome for everything a little harder to ride it for in town but in the bush its killer man.

12. walla2k5

walla2k5 1/2 ton status

13. fabjunkie

fabjunkie 1/2 ton status

I ran a Centerforce 2 in my old dd Toy. If I did it again, I would have gone with the Double Friction, the 2 didn't seem much better than stock. I could still slip it fairly easily.

14. ramses

ramses 1/2 ton status

Can someone tell me the differences between the 1, 2, and dual friction clutches and their advantages so I will know which one I will need?

15. fabjunkie

fabjunkie 1/2 ton status

16. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

My experience with my centerforce II is that it is better in every way. It grabs harder (when I need it to), it engages smoother, pedal pressure feels lighter, etc. It does drive differently than a stock clutch but you would be happy with it on the street.