Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Centerforce I, II or DF?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mtrdrms, May 19, 2006.

1. mtrdrms

mtrdrms 1/2 ton status

Well I have to replace my clutch and I think I am gonna go with a centerforce unit. So I go to order it and it turns out that its not quite that simple. I dont know which type to get or the size.

So I looked up on Summitracing.com and found my specific application and it was a 12 inch. So then I asked a friend what one to get and he said an 11 inch Dual friction. What size is the input shaft? It is a 10 spline right? It is a 465 out of an 84 K10. What gives here and which one would you put in your truck?

2. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

Back when i had a standard i went with the stage 2.

Reason--

stage one is basically stock with a little more clamp

stage 2 is upgraded material, with even more clamp

DF is a lot more clamp

from what i understood the DF is either on/off. ther was no in between, which made sence because it geared more toward the racer. i didnt go with the DF because of that. i didn't want to spenda lot of money and get a "stock like" clutch so i went with the 2.

it was an awesome clutch. crawlin i would be half in/out most of the time and there would be no smell or slip, i could dump the clutch at 4k and roast 38's--again no smell or slip. be sure to get the upgraded throw out bearing. and yes its a 10 spline input.

FWIW my 305 recommended an 11"er and when i swapped to the 350 it recommended a 12. I was already broke and just swaped over the 11 and it held up awesome.

3. uberbeans

uberbeans 1/2 ton status

I have a Centerforce 2 in my Blazer and haven't had any problems yet but In my RX-7 racecar it had problems. Not only did it only last only about 8000 miles but when it came out, it came out in pieces! Maybe it was a bad clutch. On a side note: How well is the Blazer holding up with popping the clutch at four grand? I have 37's in a Detroit locked 12 bolt and I admit I am scared that I am going to break something with that kind of abuse. Though I want to do it. Real bad.

4. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

I have since got auto (only because of the doubler) and everything held up fine (welded 14ff) little weight in the back.

5. uberbeans

uberbeans 1/2 ton status

But it was holding up to that abuse with the manual? What gears?

6. dhcomp

dhcomp 3/4 ton status Premium Member

with a 12 bolt i wouldnt' do it, he had a 14 bolt.....

7. rumbly truck

rumbly truck 1/2 ton status

I am running a dualfriction unit in a k-3500, 454, sm465, 4.10 . Its a everyday driver, and my tow rig. I pull a 28' fith wheel that weighs about 8500. Mine works great, you can feather it if need be.My only complaint is, that the hydro clutch has zero feel in the pedal, and you can't set the engagement heigth .

8. yoshisv

yoshisv 1/2 ton status

Luk pro gold series. If that is not a option i would settle with the dualfriction.

9. Big Truck

Big Truck 1/2 ton status

I got a dual friction with a hydro clutch, it works pretty smooth no problems or issues.

10. greg mgm

greg mgm 1/2 ton status

My 78 has the dual friction. Stock pedal feel, no problems at all. Definitely will buy another down the road.