Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Centerline 2-piece gripe

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 1Blazin71, Nov 11, 2001.

1. 1Blazin71

1Blazin71 1/2 ton status

I just had a second centerline 2-piece outlaw style wheel go bad on me. I've had these wheels on my stock axles for about 6 years with 35" Cepek tires.

Both wheels failed in the same way and within 3 months of each other. The outer rim piece is riveted to the hub piece and inside there is a silicon bead to seal it up. I guess over time the rivets start to weaken and the things start leaking from the outer face of the wheel.

When the first one started going I thought it was just bad silicon inside, so I ground it all out and re-sealed it. It held up fine for about a week then I noticed that one of the rivets heads was missing and the rim part was starting to separate from the hub part (giving the wheel about an additional 3/16" of run out). It was scary looking so I bought a el-cheapo steel wheel.

Last night a second centerline started leaking from the seal between the pieces (same place). I've had it with these wheels!!! Has anyone else had problems with centerlines or 2 piece wheels in general?

I have a 14ff stting at the garage getting prepped so I'm going to replace the rears with 8 lugs...think I'll go just plain jane steel wheels at this point.

Should I bother complaining to centerline?

Matthew Meyer
    matthewm@inhollywood.com
    '71 Ochre K5 - 4" Lift 35"s
    ZZ4 350 - 700R

2. oldschool75

oldschool75 Registered Member

I work in the wheels and tire business and centerline has allways been good about warranty on wheels that are defective . I would call them if I were you.

3. oldschool75

oldschool75 Registered Member

I work in the wheel and tire business and centerline has allways been good about warranty on wheels that are defective . I would call them if I were you.

4. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

I don't know if I would call it complaining or advising. This could be a severe safety issue and they may be thankfull you let them know. Heck, they may even give you a free sticker.
    Seriously though, it would be good to pass that on to them.

John

Like to go sloppin' 'round in da mud in a rapid fashion....=)

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun31?&page=1>See my pics here</a>

5. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

My first set of Centerlines did that...........and Centerline basically told me to blow it out my rear..........that any wheel that was 6 years old was out of warranty. HUH? So what did I do? Bought a nice new set of Centerlines...........that were not the riveted design. Never had a problem with them.

<font color=blue>'79 ONE TON TPI K5 - See it at---&gt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com>www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com</a>