Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ceramic hookers rusting after 4 days!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Muddin_Mavric, Mar 19, 2004.

1. Muddin_Mavric

Muddin_Mavric Registered Member

On saterday i put some ceramic coated hooker compatition headers on my 83 k5 and since i have driven it 3 times then on wednesday i went and looked and they are starting to rust in some spots all ready! When i installed them i left them in the plastic and put rags around them to protect them so im sure that i didnt chip it off. Some spots are where i know that i could not have hit them with/on anything.

Is this normal or should i take the time to take them off and send them back. IF there just gona rust anyways i should just get the uncoated. How long should i expect them to stay shinny as long as i keep from chiping the coating off from stones or tools when working on it.

thanks for any info you can give me

Justin Behr

2. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

call hooker and bitch.. then tell them you will only accept them sending a set of uncoated headers to be JetHot coated and then shipped to you, and you'll send back the ones you have now..

3. Muddin_Mavric

Muddin_Mavric Registered Member

Whats the jet-hot coating? Just really tuff paint?

is this what usually happens to the ceramic ones? or if i get another set of ceramic ones will they last longer before rusting /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

4. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

jethot coating is a special coating patented that goes inside AND out.. i dont know, ive only seen 2 sets of headers up close that i paid attention to, chevy4wds which are stainless and the ones i bought for my truck but never installed..

5. dan76k30

dan76k30 Registered Member

I bought my Thorley's that way, uncoated and jet coated. Then they were shipped to me. They seemed pretty proud of the coating process, and wouldn't tell me how they coated the inside like it was a trade secret. Great finish and has been very durable.

6. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    I bought my Thorley's that way, uncoated and jet coated. Then they were shipped to me. They seemed pretty proud of the coating process, and wouldn't tell me how they coated the inside like it was a trade secret. Great finish and has been very durable.

[/ QUOTE ]

How long have you had your jet-hot coated thorleys? Also when did you get them. I bought a set of Hooker Super Comps and had Jet-Snot coat them. After they started rusting in a two months, I sent them back to be re-coated. After another 2-3 months they started rusting again. I called and emailed them and am still waiting for a response (2 years later......)

I would suggest getting High temp paint and painting your headers as it is a better investment unless they have changed their process.

Also are you sure they were jet hot? I thought thorley used HPC (High performance coatings.... www.hpcoatings.com ). I was hoping to see if someone had used them as I'm waiting for a set of BBC headers and want to protect them.

7. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

I just covered mine in mud and haven't seen them since. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I think that is pretty common for the ceramic coated headers. I had the same set you have on an old camaro and they were rusted within a week also.

9. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    I just covered mine in mud and haven't seen them since. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif