Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ceramic vs Semi Metallic Brake Pads

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Alex, Jan 6, 2003.

1. Alex

Alex Registered Member

Hi all, I am ready to replace my brakes. I was told that ceramic pads are superior to semi metallic. Is this true? If I buy the ceramic pads should I have any concern with chewing up the rotors? Any input would be appreciated. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Pretty sure you'll find that the longer the claimed life, or the better braking that brake pad makers will talk about, all tend to eat up rotors faster than the "softe" compositions.

Of course, as with most things, you can't trust the maker to be totally honest, some of the "lifetime" pads are extra soft too. I'd probably go with some semi-metallics, unless you can find some reviews of ceramic pads (which I've never heard of) online or somewhere else, that tell you their charecteristics.

If you ask me, soft pads that don't chew up the rotors but "only" give 20-40000 miles (as an example, mine have got 10k on them so far) are a better option than replacing rotors at the same or slightly greater intervals.

3. txbluethunder

txbluethunder 1/2 ton status

i've been running hawk pads on my truck since the day i bought it and i ran them on my old sports car. these are awesome pads. if you get the hps they aren't that hard on the rotors, they won't glaze and they last a decent amount of time. you can get them at jegs.

4. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

Like Dorian said, the harder pads will tend to eat up your rotors faster.

But, the harder the material used in a brake pad, the better braking performance you will get. Better grip on the rotors, generating more heat and wear.

I use semi-metallics on my wife's car and they work excellent! The first set lasted 50k+ miles and the rotors were toasted. Not that big a deal since new rotors for her Pontiac are only about $30 each and the "lifetime" pads get replaced for free.

I like the softer pads on the Suburban. They are a little more forgiving when they get muddy and greasy but they do get used up faster. I just got the "lifetime" pads from the local parts store and I just replace the pads every 15k-20k miles (usually every spring). Not a big deal since I tear everything apart for maintenance at least once a year.

Whatever you decide on, pay the extra few $$$ to get the "Lifetime warrenty pads" so you don't have to buy them again.

5. milspecjimmy

milspecjimmy 1/2 ton status

when i used to race my 94 z28, i used the power slot rotors and ceramic pads. i had to change pads and rotors every 2 months, front and rear. the pads would eat the rotors, and when you do rotors you do pads, it was a never ending battle. but it stopped good /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

6. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I use raybestos brute stop pads on both of my trucks (front and rear on the blazer)
    They stop real good and are real soft (they last about 12k in my s10...or about 1year). They put almost no wear on the rotors.

They are a carbon metalic pad.

7. slider

slider 1/2 ton status

Hey Goober or anyone else up here in the Northwest FYI I just bought a new set of lifetime pads from Schucks and they do not give a lifetime warantee for wear anymore. I guess they lost too much money and changed their policy. Later Slider /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

8. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I ussually throw on the cheapo's and end up changing them every year. But at $14 its not that bad.

9. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

So what that means is when I go in next time to have my lifetime pads replaced, it will be the last time? Figures, spend the extra $$ for lifetime warranty, then they change it on you.

Wonder if you could win in court? Like I'm gonna sue over that, but still, you pay the extra $$ for the lifetime warranty.

10. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

That is why I don't.
    I will not go to a store and ask them to replace a pad, it's a consumable.
    This is just a sales gimick and I don't even like to consider it.

11. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    they do not give a lifetime warantee for wear anymore

[/ QUOTE ]
    Dang ... so next time I go to change them Schucks won't give me new ones??? Oh well, that will just give me 1 more thing to cuss at them about.

I gave up on asking them any questions in the store a long time ago after a store "manager" wanted to argue about a part that I brought in and placed on the counter that didn't match the one he had on his shelf (water pump for a 3.8 v-6 .... easy, right?). He insisted that I didn't have the engine I claimed to have and that someone must have replaced it. He actually wanted me to run home and get "casting numbers" off the block so he could "check in his computer" (That would have required me to remove the large shield covering the engine that says "3.8 Liter V-6" on it). I finally got him to check through a few boxes until he found one that matched and guess what? The application for that part number said that it was for a 3.8 v-6 and it listed my Bonneville as one of the applications.

I kindly instructed him to fornicate with himself and went to NAPA and the gal at the counter grabbed the right one off the shelf without "checking the computer".

I swear, most of the gumballs behind the counter at parts stores couldn't pick their noses by themselves.

Like Sandman said, the organic pads are pretty cheap but the don't last as long.

12. BlackDog714

BlackDog714 1/2 ton status

slider. Although Schucks does not offer a free replacement on the worn out pads, if they break (not brake) they will replace them.

So, when they get worn out, pull them and "accidently" drop them so the friction material breaks, Viola, new pads /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

13. methcat

methcat Registered Member

i haven't put eramics on my blazer, but i put napa's "ceramix" on my vette last year. they stop great, they dust white, you can hardly see it, but they eat the HELL out of my rotors! i have them turned about every 3 months, in fact last time put me at the minimum...

c /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif