Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

CFM of stock fan?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jjlaughner, Jun 26, 2003.

1. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

Just curious what the stock fan CFM is?

2. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

I'm curious to find out the number myself.

I had a 2950CFM Permacool fan and my stock setup pulls way more CFM's than the permacool did.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I don't think I've ever seen that data, and I've been looking. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

4. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

I picked up a 1900 CFM electric fan, just curious what the stocker pulled? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

5. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

Thats going to vary with the speed of the fan and weather the clutch is fully engaged. I know when it is engaged, it pulls pretty well

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Do searches on electric fans. I think you'll see minimum anyone has had any real success is 2200CFM or so.

Most run dual fans that pull somewhere around 5000CFM total if running a big inch motor or doing a lot of crawling in warm weather.

7. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

with clutch locked around 1000RPM of engine speed stock fan with the shrode is probably moving 4,000+ They pretty well stall out at that. The resitance of the fan moving the air is more then the fluid clutch can handle so at 3,000 rpm it's still moving about the same air as 1000rpm.
    I know when mine is full locked with the hood up if I had a lonjg haired hippy stand next to the fender it would be blowing their hair pretty good. NEVER seen a 12v electric move near that much air.

8. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

I've had similar experiences.

With the 2950CFM permacool setup, I would have to put my hand past the grill and onto the radiator to feel the suction.

With the stock setup back on, if I stand in front of the truck, my shirt gets sucked into the grill. Which is about 6" away from the radiator. Love that stock setup.

9. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

The commercial electric fans (ie Winstar, Mark-VIII) pull close to 5000CFM. On my 355 in my Elky the stock clutch fan setup could not keep the car cool when idiling and the air running during summer. I switched over to a heavier clutch and fan off a truck and that seemed to help but I could feel a hugh drag on the engine when accelerating until the clutch disengaged. I also feel the same thing on my Blazer. I have had no problem with the Winstar setup. Pulls lots of air. Seriously thinking about doing the same conversion on my Blazer cuz the load and fan noise bugs me.