Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

chain link fence pipe

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tecton, Apr 22, 2004.

1. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

is that stuff good for anything other than the fence?

i found a whole crap load of it out in a field...looks REALLY thick

2. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I wouldn't trust it for anything but fence post, especially if it is that galvanized stuff.

3. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

I think that stuff is glavanized, and I don't imagine welding on it would be any fun

For bumpers and stuff like that it cant be bad, I wouldnt trust it for cage, just , you know, because it's fence pole

Anyway, I'll use ANY steel to make non cage items on my truck, I know I used a bunch of washers to weld up a table at work

4. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

is galvanized hard to weld?

i was imagining bumpers with it

5. denver75k5

denver75k5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    is galvanized hard to weld?

[/ QUOTE ]

I work with galvanized sheet metal every day and the gasses from welding or burning it can KILL you. I know first hand /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

6. big jimmy 91

big jimmy 91 1/2 ton status

You have to clean off all the galvaniziing in the area you are going to weld with a grinder
    Plus weld outside or in a well ventilated area with a proper respirator as it will make you very sick (poisoning you)
    Also wear leathers as galv. will pop and sputter the puddle giving you some nasty burns
    Go to a welding supplier and they can tell you the proper rod ,wire and gas combo for your equipment
    This has been my exp. with galv. hope it helps.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

P.S. you can paint over welds with cold galvanizing compound (spray can) to protect the welds

7. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

its pipe not tube.... with a seam that would split under compression of a roll... its also made of the worse scrap steel...
    the galvie coating can be welded through using certain types of rods or flux core... but the welding process as previously noted is very toxic... grinding it off would be a pita...
    SKIP it...
    cam

8. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    its pipe not tube.... with a seam that would split under compression of a roll... its also made of the worse scrap steel...
    the galvie coating can be welded through using certain types of rods or flux core... but the welding process as previously noted is very toxic... grinding it off would be a pita...
    SKIP it...
    cam

[/ QUOTE ]
    I second that

9. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Don't weld it. Its bad. Or get the right stuff needed for it. I have a respirator for welding galvanized sheet metal /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. trollporter

trollporter 1/2 ton status

Used it once on a 'Zuki/buggy to make a straight pipe exhaust. Sounded like a bad ass weed eater on crack. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    i found a whole crap load of it out in a field

[/ QUOTE ]

If you found it in a field, its there for a reason.
    At the risk of sounding like Tim, Cow$hit can also be found in a field. Would you use that on your /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif ?

12. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

its big and heavy and feels expensive, lol

13. DwarF

DwarF 1/2 ton status

Scrap is going for a pretty penny these days

14. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

You going to build a cage for your future children? /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

15. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

i have used chainlink fence and emt conduit tubing to build long lasting exhaust pipes and even a stand to hold the fiberglass roof on my old 72 K5 I had--it looked like a swingset,only the top of it was the same heigt as the bed of the blazer so I could slide the roof right onto it.Dont take the warnings about the "zinc chills" too lightly--I did and beleive me,even a mild dose of those fumes will make you wish you used black iron pipe instead.The good thing is it doesent rust for a long long time.I dont think I'd use it for anything structural,though a friend made a carport out of it and its still there 10 years later.If you must use it,grind off the zinc and weld it outdoors--even with a fan running outside chances are you'll get a whiff of that nasty white smoke--it will give you stomach cramps and diarrea(ask me how I know /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif).I use a lot of galvanized sheet steel to patch my rotted trucks,but end up paying the price after welding it in.Then your truck rusts around the edges of the patch and your back to square one!.They out to galvanize the whole cab /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif,but then we'd never have to buy another one,would we?. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

16. chubbybob

chubbybob 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    You going to build a cage for your future children? /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I SECOND THAT /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif